Seamless 4 way mirror from images

Visuals, audio, animation. Blended, not stirred. If LiveCode is part of your rich media production toolbox, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bn
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Seamless 4 way mirror from images

Post by bn » Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:22 pm

A long time ago Wilhelm Sanke did a Seamless Mirror stack that uses a rectangular selection from an image to do a "Seamless Mirror" i.e. the rectangle is flipped horizontally and then both the original rectangle and the flipped rectangle are flipped vertically. Those mirrors are used to fill the image.
Since Wilhelm had password protected his stack I reverse engineered the effect. While coding I tried to make it as fast as possible. Wilhelm at the time did amazing things regarding image manipulation.

There is a selection "tool" which lets you choose the area of interest and a live preview of the resulting mirror. Use it also to generate smaller selections and even one pixel high and a couple of pixels wide etc to get interesting effects. Spoiler: a 1 by 1 pixel selection gives you a monochrome mirror. :)
It can be quite addictive to generate those mirrors and marvel at the resulting image.

For the stack I used just a very small image to see what happens but it is advised to import a larger image/s to experiment. You can also drag-drop images on the central image to import them. Additionally there is an option to export the resulting pattern in case you want to use it as wallpaper...

Kind regards
Bernd
Attachments
SeamlessMirror_0_5.livecode.zip
(121.05 KiB) Downloaded 144 times

PaulDaMacMan

Re: Seamless 4 way mirror from images

Post by PaulDaMacMan » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:14 pm

bn wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:22 pm
A long time ago Wilhelm Sanke did a Seamless Mirror stack that uses a rectangular selection from an image to do a "Seamless Mirror" i.e. the rectangle is flipped horizontally and then both the original rectangle and the flipped rectangle are flipped vertically. Those mirrors are used to fill the image.
Since Wilhelm had password protected his stack I reverse engineered the effect. While coding I tried to make it as fast as possible. Wilhelm at the time did amazing things regarding image manipulation.

There is a selection "tool" which lets you choose the area of interest and a live preview of the resulting mirror. Use it also to generate smaller selections and even one pixel high and a couple of pixels wide etc to get interesting effects. Spoiler: a 1 by 1 pixel selection gives you a monochrome mirror. :)
It can be quite addictive to generate those mirrors and marvel at the resulting image.

For the stack I used just a very small image to see what happens but it is advised to import a larger image/s to experiment. You can also drag-drop images on the central image to import them. Additionally there is an option to export the resulting pattern in case you want to use it as wallpaper...

Kind regards
Bernd
Nice work (as usual) Bernd!
Saving this to examine later. I'd wanted to do a mirror image effect for a scrolling image group, like Apple's no longer used "Cover Flow" view, a long time ago now, and I did a few experiments. I'll have to dig those out to compare.
Thanks for sharing!
My GitHub Repos: https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/
Related YouTube Videos: PlayList

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:37 pm

Surely for the latter it would involve a series of
snapshots . . .

PaulDaMacMan

Post by PaulDaMacMan » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:57 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:37 pm
Surely for the latter it would involve a series of
snapshots . . .
?
or putting a copy of the image data / image text of one image control into another and transforming it?

For "coverFlow" you would then overlay a vignette to fade out the mirrored, flipped / 180 agree rotate copy of the image.
I couldn't get the 3D turning over effect going in a way that satisfied me though, I think that's why I gave up on it.
Could probably just use some JS / CSS in a Browser Widget to do that so I figured why reinvent the wheel?
I may take another crack at it as a Builder Extension someday.

stam

Post by stam » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:10 pm

Bernd, that's pretty spectacular - always humbled when looking at your stacks!

bn

Post by bn » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:20 pm

Thank you all for your nice comments.

Kind regards
Bernd

jacque

Post by jacque » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:55 pm

Marvelous! I played with it way too long. This thing could make some interesting desktop wallpapers.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

PaulDaMacMan

Post by PaulDaMacMan » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:03 pm

jacque wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:55 pm
Marvelous! I played with it way too long. This thing could make some interesting desktop wallpapers.
I second that, it reminds me a bit of some little "Desk Accessory" (I'm System 6 old) utility that I had way back when that generated random patterns for seamless tiles.

Return to “Multimedia”