How the heck??!!: AudioClips

Visuals, audio, animation. Blended, not stirred. If LiveCode is part of your rich media production toolbox, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

shadowslash

How the heck??!!: AudioClips

Post by shadowslash » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:09 am

Hi guys, I've been working with Revolution for quite some time now but for the sake of me, I haven't had a chance to ask the very first question I had when I first used revolution. How do I use the AudioClips and VideoClips function of Revolution? I used File > Import as Control > Audio File... and I managed to add an Mp3 file and a Wav file to the list of the "controls" at AudioClips (which can be seen from the Application Browser) but when I try to play it, all I get is static sound like "kkkssshhhhhhhhh" I'm not sure if I got the sound right but lol that's how it sounded. EVERY single sound format I try to import always came up with the same result. If anybody can help me understand what this part of Revolution is about and how to use it, I would be really glad. Image

Parañaque, Philippines

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:49 am

Audioclips are imported files, and become part of the stack content. They are different to audio files that are referenced by a player object.

RunRev can only play an audioclip of a very limited range of file types (to my certain knowledge the file has to be an uncompressed AIFF file or an uncompressed WAV file. There may be some other file types that can be an audioclip, but I don't know, and I somehow doubt it).

When you start a player object, the audio file is external to RunRev and will by default use Quicktime as the engine to play it (unless you set the dontUseQT to true before letting Quicktime be loaded), in which case you will be able to play files of the types that Quicktime (or Windows MCI) supports (although there are some quirks and issues, particularly with Windows based video playing I think) but only by having them read the audio file from a referenced location - a player object cannot play an audioclip that's embedded in the stack.

In other words, audioclips are only really suitable for beep and zap and bloop noises of short duration because they cannot be played simultaneously, and the file formats mean that they would be very large and make the stack size much bigger. Unfortunately you cannot import a file of mp3 type and play it as an audioclip, so your image above shows a definite non-starter.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:15 am

Yes, we have been asking for better native media support of Rev for years,
but all we got so far was... "GRADIENTS" :D

Best

Klaus

P.S.
The third native sound format supported by Rev is the AU format, which is in fact compressed.

shadowslash

Post by shadowslash » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:32 pm

Well thanks for confirming the sad truth... Image I'm sure rev's gonna make up for that downside sooner or later.....
Parañaque, Philippines

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:54 pm

shadowslash wrote:I'm sure rev's gonna make up for that downside sooner or later.....
Don't rely on it!

And if Rev will demand QT for media playback (sound/video) in Revlets, then I bet this will not be of much success at all :/

Best

Klaus

shadowslash

Post by shadowslash » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:58 pm

Another thing I find quite disturbing on revLets is that they don't support DataGrids or at least that's what I'm seeing. When I make stacks with DataGrid controls and has contents, when viewed through the web page, the DataGrid control just freezes. Not interactable at all. Image
Parañaque, Philippines

benjibeaumont
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by benjibeaumont » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:53 am

Media does not come with the data grid. This is for Studio users and above. When 4.0 is released you will find that your datagrid works fine :)
Ben Beaumont | Runtime Revolution

Return to “Multimedia”