Approach to automatically install QuickTime components

Visuals, audio, animation. Blended, not stirred. If LiveCode is part of your rich media production toolbox, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

verlsnake

Approach to automatically install QuickTime components

Post by verlsnake » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:28 am

The latest QuickTime Player 7.4 does NOT support Flash content anymore !

BUT: It still plays back AxelEdge 3D (web) content, if the necessary Axel QuickTime component is installed. And installing the Axel QuickTime component is equivalent to copying it into the correct directory of the QuickTime Player installation.

Is there an approach in the Revolution community to automatically install QuickTime components that are needed but not yet installed ? And that are NOT available on Apple's QuickTime components' page but provided by oneself ?

verlsnake

Post by verlsnake » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:04 pm

I have built a programmatic solution for installing the Axel QuickTime component in the interim; using RR's client-side registry and file system capabilities.

I will create a new thread for QuickTime/AxelEdge questions though !

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:09 am

Hi verlsnake,

Maybe you shouldn't have started a separate thread. I would have answered slightly differently, if I had known that the Axel-never-heard of is a QT codec. Chances to convince users to install it are slightly better if it is just a codec, rather than a complete player.

What kind of "approach" are you thinking of? Why do you need a particular approach? Just copy the necessary files to the correct place and before doing so make sure you have the right permissions.

Best,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

Return to “Multimedia”