Flash in QuickTime Player

Visuals, audio, animation. Blended, not stirred. If LiveCode is part of your rich media production toolbox, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

revsanphos
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Flash in QuickTime Player

Post by revsanphos » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:14 am

Hi,

I have been successful in building a stack with the QuickTime Player object and a .mov source file containing video and sound tracks.

I built another stack with the QuickTime Player and chose a .swf as a source file, but nothing appears when I use the Run Tool or when I create a standalone.

The .swf (is Flash 5) and runs in QuickTime when I use Open With (I am using XP).

Under Tracks in the Player Inspector, it lists the Flash track and the track is enabled.

Could this be related to QuickTime's recent updates disabling Flash Tracks (one is given the option to enable them)?

Thanks,

Kevin

revsanphos

Flash in QuickTime Player (Update)

Post by revsanphos » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:25 am

Hi,

I have tested some settings and have found the following.

I am using XP Pro and the QuickTime version is 7.1.5 (what occurs may have occurred on previous versions of version 7 - not sure, as this is the first time I am working with QuickTime and Flash Tracks and Revolution).

If you double click on a .mov with a Flash Track, QuickTime will prompt you to Enable or Disable the Flash Track. There is also an option to turn on Enable for all QuickTime movies (with Flash Tracks) in this prompt (this option is also available in the QuickTime Preferences (Advanced Tab / Media Types)).

If QuickTime is set to prompt for each .mov - you don't see the .mov content in Revolution or when you create a standalone. In either situation, you aren't prompted by QuickTime to Enable the Flash Tracks.

If QuickTime is set to Enable playback of Adobe Flash Tracks (for all .mov), you see the .mov content in Revolution and in the standalone.

Is there a way to trigger the QuickTime prompt to Enable Flash Tracks? Is it possible this could be coded into Revolution?

Thanks,

Kevin

reelstuff

Re: Flash in QuickTime Player (Update)

Post by reelstuff » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:13 pm

revsanphos wrote:Hi,

I have tested some settings and have found the following.

I am using XP Pro and the QuickTime version is 7.1.5 (what occurs may have occurred on previous versions of version 7 - not sure, as this is the first time I am working with QuickTime and Flash Tracks and Revolution).

If you double click on a .mov with a Flash Track, QuickTime will prompt you to Enable or Disable the Flash Track. There is also an option to turn on Enable for all QuickTime movies (with Flash Tracks) in this prompt (this option is also available in the QuickTime Preferences (Advanced Tab / Media Types)).

If QuickTime is set to prompt for each .mov - you don't see the .mov content in Revolution or when you create a standalone. In either situation, you aren't prompted by QuickTime to Enable the Flash Tracks.

If QuickTime is set to Enable playback of Adobe Flash Tracks (for all .mov), you see the .mov content in Revolution and in the standalone.

Is there a way to trigger the QuickTime prompt to Enable Flash Tracks? Is it possible this could be coded into Revolution?

Thanks,

Kevin

I too am looking for a way to reference Flash Content, within studio, so far I do not see any way to do this, and I think there should be, perhaps it is a licensing with Adobe, I will be looking for a way into the this problem and will certainly share with you should I be successful, however judging from the responses to your question, I would say that it must be somewhat difficult.

Feel free to contact me if you have any information to share on this topic.

regards,

Tim Franklin

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:52 am

Hi firends,

I think the way to go is to use the new browser external, QuickTime is a nice but half-baked solution.

This way you can have the latest Flash movies*** inside your Rev app and noone can tell the difference :-)

***and EVERYTHING that runs in a browser!

Regards

Klaus Major

reelstuff

yes, that is what I want like the song...

Post by reelstuff » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:27 am

Klaus wrote:Hi firends,

I think the way to go is to use the new browser external, QuickTime is a nice but half-baked solution.

This way you can have the latest Flash movies*** inside your Rev app and noone can tell the difference :-)

***and EVERYTHING that runs in a browser!

Regards

Klaus Major

Yes I agree, I wish to explore is the possibility of further Interaction once the flash, is present in the browser, with the Internet being as competitive as it is, the ability to produce totally unique solutions is perhaps the driving force behind my RR aspirations.

however that is like putting the cart before the horse for me, but that is the way that I think, I am much more comfortable with flash than RR that being said, I have been working with the flash tool since version 5, so it is logical that I would interact with the flash model mentally first, now If I can just grasp the RR way of doing things, LOL

revsanphos

Post by revsanphos » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:45 am

Klaus,

I am interested in seeing and trying the browser integration.

Note: The following experience was based on the altbrowser tutorial - which contains Flash content as an example.

The one thing that quickly caught my attention is altbrowser is using your browser and your browser security settings. Which is a good thing and a bad thing. If you are trying to display Flash content and the user has their security settings (ActiveX, for one, there may be others) screwed down, the Flash content may not display. Will the user know - if they are in a standalone - that their browser security settings are the reason the standalone is not working properly? Does one tell the user to change their security settings so they can interact with the standalone?

Kevin

reelstuff

Post by reelstuff » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:44 am

revsanphos wrote:Klaus,

I am interested in seeing and trying the browser integration.

Note: The following experience was based on the altbrowser tutorial - which contains Flash content as an example.

The one thing that quickly caught my attention is altbrowser is using your browser and your browser security settings. Which is a good thing and a bad thing. If you are trying to display Flash content and the user has their security settings (ActiveX, for one, there may be others) screwed down, the Flash content may not display. Will the user know - if they are in a standalone - that their browser security settings are the reason the standalone is not working properly? Does one tell the user to change their security settings so they can interact with the standalone?

Kevin
Very good point, I think this may be the answer,

Local Content Updater

Before using the Macromedia Flash Local Content Updater, be sure to
read the article on Flash Player 8 security at
http://www.macromedia.com/go/flash8security

Source Abobe website.

Apparently you can work around that limitation with the updater download and install.

Here is a link to various update content utilities, I believe that this should help, however from what I read, its one way or the other, which I hope changes, you will see what I mean once you read throught the primer.
http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

Return to “Multimedia”