visual effects transitions with player objects

Visuals, audio, animation. Blended, not stirred. If LiveCode is part of your rich media production toolbox, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

hutchfx

visual effects transitions with player objects

Post by hutchfx » Wed May 04, 2022 1:17 pm

I'm working on a kiosk project. I need to do a visual effect transition from one video to another. I've made it work ok using two player objects, both with allwaysBuffer set to true (why doesn't this property show up in the dictionary?), using "lock screen for visual effect", then hiding one player, and showing the other, then "unlock screen with visual effect x". Eventually I'll have six different videos, and the show/hide method gets bloated.

Is there a better way to do this? I tried using two cards, each with their own player object. It didn't work with lock and unlock screen, or with "go to card with visual effect. Likewise, using a single player object, locking screen, changing fileName of player, unlocking screen didn't work.

LC 9.6.7
Mac OS 10.13.6 (an old machine)
Eventually to deploy on Windows 10

TIA

Hutch

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: visual effects transitions with player objects

Post by jacque » Wed May 04, 2022 5:19 pm

Off the top of my head, when the first player is hidden, set its filename to the next video in the queue. That is, player 1 shows the first video, player 2 appears and while player 1 is hidden set its filename to video 3.

Another possible option, since you know the videos in advance, make screenshots of the first and last frame of each. Show the last frame image before hiding the video and when it's hidden the image will show. If they are carefully aligned the user won't see a difference. Lock the screen, show the first frame image of the next video, set the filename of the player to the next video, fade in the image and show the player. This method would only require one player.

Completely untested but maybe worth a try.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

hutchfx

Re: visual effects transitions with player objects

Post by hutchfx » Fri May 06, 2022 8:48 am

Thanks Jacque… that’s a brilliant idea!

Return to “Multimedia”