syncRate question

Visuals, audio, animation. Blended, not stirred. If LiveCode is part of your rich media production toolbox, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

pkocsis

syncRate question

Post by pkocsis » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:54 am

Regarding my previous topic of "Poor 'move' performance in 4.0+ engines?", I am now experimenting with the syncRate property. The documentation states:

"Decreasing the syncRate reduces the load on the system, but may make the display of movements and visual effects more jerky."

...but my testing shows just the opposite. The higher I set the syncrate, the jerkier the movement gets. The lower I set the syncRate (even down to 1), the smoother my object movement seems.

Can anyone shed some light and/or share insight on syncRate values?

Thanks!

pkocsis

Re: syncRate question

Post by pkocsis » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:31 am

I have discovered that the default syncRate has been bumped up to 20 in 4.0+ rev builds. Previous builds were at 9. This seems to certainly change the fluidity of moving objects (at a cost of cpu). The docs indicate that the higher the syncRate value, the jerkier your movement is but the less cpu that is required. I am finding the opposite. The lower the syncRate, the more fluid 'move's are, at a higher cost of cpu. I am testing on Windows.....

bn
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: syncRate question

Post by bn » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:46 pm

Hi pkocsis,
thanks for pointing this out, I find the same on a Mac:
the lower the syncrate the smother the movement the higher the CPU strain.
regards
Bernd

Return to “Multimedia”