Realm persistent local database library

Something you want to see in a LiveCode product? Want a new forum set up for a specific topic? Talk about it here.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, robinmiller, kevinmiller

p0ck

Realm persistent local database library

Post by p0ck » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:55 pm

Realm is a fast and easy persistent local database solution that can replace couchDB, sql lite, core data etc.

I was looking into creating a Realm external library for LiveCode but it seem more complicated than I thought.

If anyone could create that external it would be great for Livecoders who use databases in their apps and it would make database handling easier and faster for everyone.

You can check out Realm at realm dot io , there's a c++, obj c and java extension already.

Plus making this extension could give some visibility to LiveCode for other coders who like simple, easy and powerful tools. :)

jameshale
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Realm persistent local database library

Post by jameshale » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:42 am

Part of the long delayed “Infinite LiveCode” crowd funding project was the funded stretch goal to package the SQLite library using LCB and provide a complete tutorial on doing so.

This could have then been used as a basis for any of us to do what you suggest.

I am certainly not holding my breathe :?

p0ck

Post by p0ck » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:36 am

No, it’s not a big project for someone who know what he is doing.
I guess it shouldn’t take more than one or two hours for someone to write this external.

There’s just a dozen Realm functions or so to write the getters and setters for using the LiveCode translator thing.

I probably could do it but I don’t find the proper documentation on how to do it, the doc I found seem outdated. I would just need to know the c++ handler commands for LiveCode builder.

But given the importance of that librarie, I guess someone more experimented with this than me would do a better job than I would. Plus the person who do it could then sell the library in the LiveCode extension store and make a little money off it. (Probably could not sell it for too much money given it’s not that difficult to make (supposedly)). :)

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:33 pm

p0ck wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:36 am
No, it’s not a big project for someone who know what he is doing.
Isn't that kind of the same as saying "It doesn't take much to knock up 4 walls and put a window into one of them...." then compare building a house to it?

Describing something in generalities is almost always *easy*, coding the specifics is where the difficulties come in, and require a fair amount of detailed knowledge.

After all, if it were that easy, as you mentioned you would be able to do it yourself (and so could anyone else that needed such an interface).

As for finding the specifics to do it, you might try Lc's support email, they would likely give you direct links to anything your looking for.

Myself, I'm holding out for -hh or Brian or Monte to write an indepth tutorial on the subject :D

Return to “Feature Requests”