Fast 2D graphics for games and simulation

Creating Games? Developing something for fun?

Moderators: heatherlaine, Klaus, FourthWorld, robinmiller, kevinmiller

Arvin

Fast 2D graphics for games and simulation

Post by Arvin » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:53 pm

I'm using Livecode to prototype a game concept where I require up to a thousand or more of tiny sprites moving around smoothly. A bit like particle physics.

Livecode itself is very slow handling many sprites but up to now I'm getting by with a trick of using the anchors of invisible polygons as sprites. I change the shape of a few polygons to move over a thosand anchors/sprites with reasonable speed. But it is a bit messy and the sprites can't change appearance easily.

The best would be to have a 2D graphics engine with hardware accelerated sprite support. I don't really need a full physics engine with particle simulation, collisions detection etc. What are the best options?

- Is Animation Engine good for this, is it faster than that the built in graphics engine?
- Are there other libraries/LC/ builder/widgets/extensions that can do fast 2D graphics?
- Do I get faster speed if the simulation (2D canvas with sprites) is coded in LC Builder, e.g. as a widget?
- Other ways of doing this in Livecode, or do I need to look at other gaming platforms like Unity?

I'm quite new to Livecode, currently using LC 8.1.9.

Thanks,
Arvin

bogs

Re: Fast 2D graphics for games and simulation

Post by bogs » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:53 pm

I'm far from an expert in this area, so I'll be interested in seeing some answers myself from the more experienced.
Arvin wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:53 pm
I require up to a thousand or more of tiny sprites moving around smoothly
My take up till now is that with Lc being single threaded in execution, this will never happen. [*1]Moving 5 small circles is possible, but even with lockScreen, lockMoves, etc that is really pushing the limits.

Having said that, though, I also don't use the latest and greatest versions, nor do I have the most experience in this area as I said, so I look forward to the answers you receive too.
_______
[*1]At least it seems to me, I used a simple technique for doing exactly that on a splash screen, it is almost painful to watch execute.

Return to “Creating Games”