I just bought AO

Create fast, sprite powered games with Animation Engine, co-developed with DerBrill Software!

Moderators: heatherlaine, kevinmiller, robinmiller, malte

maxs
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

I just bought AO

Post by maxs » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:28 am

HI,

This program will be perfect for me if I can figure out how it works.

First, how can I make a clock like the one in the demo? (No scripts are provided.)

Can I use Rev to make wire frame 3d-graphics that AO can rotate? (There was no info how that wire frame plane was made.)

That brickout game was nice. Was there a script for that?

Please help me, sirs. Max

malte

Post by malte » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:36 am

Hi Max,

first of all, thanks for your purchase. I will make the demo Stack available if this is helpful. (The one with the clock) At the moment I am preparing more Material. You might want to download the free eBook I wrote to find more inspiration.

The plane was converted from an old rotator model. Basically you need a list of 3d points to create the wireframes. This list could look like this:

etc.

It would be nice to have a Tool that lets one create basic 3d models within Rev and I am looking into this area.

Hope that helps,

malte
Last edited by malte on Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxs

Make a Clock

Post by maxs » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:00 am

Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate all the help you offer in your ebook. The user support base is great.

Does this mean you will make the script available?
I will make the demo Stack available if this is helpful. (The one with the clock)

I can see the potiential of AE, but I'm a bit stuck implementing it. I am proficient in transcript, but this is a new to me. (And I always wanted to make a brick shooting type game.)

Max

malte

Post by malte » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:30 pm

Hi Max,

If you think it is helpful and if you tell me which parts of the demos you have seen interest you the most, I can make clean tutorials from it and post them here. I think that will be more helpful then just posting the uncleaned stacks somewhere.
I can see the potiential of AE, but I'm a bit stuck implementing it. I am proficient in transcript, but this is a new to me. (And I always wanted to make a brick shooting type game.)
I am willing to release all demo stacks for AE I've made into the public domain. It just takes me a little to clean my messy scripts. <g> Actually I've used german variable names and haven't commented the scripts at all. This might take a bit time. It could be faster if you requested a few tutorials I'll be writing then. (I need to do it anyway, so please do not hesitate to ask. That's what I am here for. ;-) )

All the best,

Malte

maxs

Clock and Protractor

Post by maxs » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:27 am

Hi Malte,

Back in July you offered help on to how you make your "clock" in the demo. (See previous message.) You wrote that the script was simple. Are you still willing to share that script?

I bought the program so I could make a clock and a protractor, but I still have not figured out how. Is there a way to get an angle from a line graphic? I need to make an electronic protractor, and I need a line that move like a minute hand on a clock, that can give the angle.

Can you help me? Thank you. Max

malte

Post by malte » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:34 am

Hi max,

sure I am willing to share that script. Let me dig out the clock demo and post it here...

A quick start:

you will need to look at the findAngleX function.

put findAngleX(x1,y1,x2,y2) into tCenterAngle

this will return the centerAngle of the 2 points. I'll attach the script of the clock in my next post.

All the best,

Malte

malte

Post by malte » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:39 am

Here is the clock code. Actually I only need to set the location of the objexcts. The geometric form of the clockface is an ellipse, therefore I use the AE function pointOnEllipse. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Code: Select all

on mouseUp
  if the flag of me is empty then set the flag of me to false
  set the flag of me to not the flag of me
  if the flag of me then herewego
end mouseUp

on herewego
  lock screen
  put word 1 of the long time into theTime
  put the long seconds mod 60 into mySeconds
  set the itemdel to ":"
  put item 1 of theTime into myHour
  put item 2 of theTime into myMinutes

put 100*6*myseconds/360 into minutepercent
  put 6*minutepercent/360 into minutecorrect

put 100*6*myminutes/360 into hourpercent
  put 30*hourpercent/100 into hourcorrect

set the loc of btn "secsbut" to pointonellipse(the loc of this card,6*mySeconds-90,200,120)
  set the startangle of grc "secondhand" to 360 - (6*mySeconds-90)
  set the loc of btn "minbut" to pointonellipse(the loc of this card,6*myminutes-90+minutecorrect,200,120)
  set the startangle of grc "minutehand" to 360 - (6*myminutes-90+minutecorrect)
  set the loc of btn "hourbut" to pointonellipse(the loc of this card,30*myhour-90+hourcorrect,200,120)
    set the startangle of grc "hourhand" to 360 - (30*myhour-90+hourcorrect)

put the long time into fld "theTime"
  unlock screen
if the flag of me then send herewego to me in 120 milliseconds
end herewego

mcgrath3

Post by mcgrath3 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:58 pm

Malte,

How many buttons / images are needed to make the clock script work?

Thanks

Tom
Tom McGrath III
Lazy River Software
3mcgrath@comcast.net

maxs

FindAngle

Post by maxs » Thu May 29, 2008 10:27 am

Hi Malte,

In the Animation Engine docs there is an example of FindAngle using a line and 2 circles to find an angle. In the accompanying code description there is no mention of using a mousedown or mouseup command. How does the mouse control the movements of the lines?

Thanks,
Max

maxs

Thank you

Post by maxs » Thu May 29, 2008 10:37 am

Hi Malte,

Thank you for the code for making the clock. I finally have one made. (I just need to be able to move the hands. Which is the reason for the previous post about findangle.)

Thank you, Max

malte

Post by malte » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:17 pm

So sorry guys,

did not see your posts. *blushes*

Are your questions solved by now? Or anything you need more info about?

All the best,

malte

bjb007

Free ebook link broken

Post by bjb007 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:10 am

Malte

Just bought AE so looking for info.

The link you posted above (Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:36 pm)
to your ebook is broken.
Life is just a bowl of cherries.

malte

Post by malte » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:41 pm

Ooopsie :) Link is updated. You will find that the eBook is a bit outdated though. I wrote it 2005. However, as you might have noticed I am in the middle of updating my site which will feature up to date tutorials and info shortly. Not today and not tomorrow, as it is really quite a bit of work, but I will announce that in the not too far future.

All the best,

Malte

maxs

I love AE.

Post by maxs » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:17 am

HI Malte,

I love AE. It enhances the capibilities of Revolution so much. I bought the new version 3.0. I appreciate your support, when I have emailed to you in the past.

I just wish you would not claim to to be 'easy to learn'. I've has the program since 1996 and still cannot understand how to use it. The program docs are written like a dictionary, every handler is seperate like the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. I don't know how they connect.

Please understand, I think AE is wonderful. I was just wondering if you had any new videos to explain how to use it better. Max

malte

Post by malte » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:33 pm

Hi max,

yes, animation is a complex topic, however we have put a lot of effort with the last 2 updates to make it a bit simpler. there is not yet enough explanation of what you can do, however those will follow. I plan on posting a few revlets along with their stacks to show a few things. Quite a few things got a lot easier, as you can just use single commands to cause an effect, instead of having to set up timers yourself. Good examples for this are commands like

aeMoveTo
aeChangeRect
aeChangeBackColor

and basically all the commands that start with ae

If you have any questions, we are usually around to aswer those. Just keep them rolling in.

All the best,

malte

Return to “Animation Engine”