Using Livecode with Windows

Moderators: LCNeil, heatherlaine, kevinmiller, elanorb

newtronsols

Using Livecode with Windows

Post by newtronsols » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:35 pm

I'm probably one of the few Livecode windows users in the idea2app sessions:

1. The app2market demo isn't showing icons and the zip file icons won't extract on my PC. [late found that I need to use winrar to extract]
2. I've tried uploading a demo android app to google play as I wanted to see the whole cycle from idea to sales. I tried to upload an apk but it said it needed a signature key. Reading the Livecode info - it shows generating a private key. This requires the use of system commands keytools.exe in the Java folder.
3. Also google play requires certain image sizes - screen capture/promo graphics etc. The default screen capture size of an android mobile phone does not work. So I'm not sure what's the best way to capture/resize for Google approval.
4. Any references to uploading on Google Play from Livecode using Windows would be useful.
Last edited by newtronsols on Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sefrojones
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Using Livecode with Windows

Post by sefrojones » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:28 am

Hi,
I am also a Windows user. If you are referring to the file i2a-12032014.zip it worked fine on win 7 64 bit. I used WinRAR, so maybe you could try that. As far as the information about submitting apps to google play, I am also interested to find out the answers to your questions. I tried a while back to create a self-signed certificate and failed miserably, but I'm hoping that livecode school will help me master this awesome language.

Good Luck!

SefroJones

newtronsols

Post by newtronsols » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:20 pm

I'll have to try the winrar method. i have just resolved the private key generation. I will put together a description of this - when i'm confident it uploads on Google Play. I have just tested via usb and it works but not when I copy the apk and try to install on my mobile. But I suspect there is another step around public key with Google Play - yet to be resolved. :?

Perhaps we can work together to get a successful outcome to get an app onto Google Play e.g. If you have resolved the best way to resize screen captures, promo images etc it would be useful to share.

LCNeil
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCNeil » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:55 pm

Hi newtronsols,

The app2market kit is a LiveCode stack that run on all supported desktop platforms (Mac/Linux/Windows). You have to make sure that the stack and Icon are within the same directory, or it will not function as expected (e.g. missing icons)

Please see attached screenshot of the stack running on windows
Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 12.53.51.png
In regards to deploying to the Google play store, you have to create your own private key and sign your application with this. We have a great lesson that covers the creation of this key and how to sign your app-

http://lessons.runrev.com/s/lessons/m/4 ... stribution

http://lessons.runrev.com/s/lessons/m/4 ... ndroid-app

If you wish to test your application on your own device, then all you need to do is sign your app for development from within the Android standalone application settings.
This signs your application with a debug.keystore which is automatically generated. You will then need to enable “Unknown Sources” and “developer Mode” on your Android device for this application to install.

You should now be able to install an APK from your device and not only via the test option

All image sizes that Google play requires are available from the google developer portal here-

https://support.google.com/googleplay/a ... 8870?hl=en

and you will learn about uploading to the Google play store in Lesson 8 of the app academy.

I hope this is of some assistance.

Kind Regards,

Neil Roger
--
RunRev Support Team ~ http://www.runrev.com
——

newtronsols

Post by newtronsols » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:41 pm

The unzipped file shows:

I suspect I may have the wrong zip. Can you send me a link for a windows version.
Attachments
app2market.png
app2market.png (5.74 KiB) Viewed 4942 times

LCNeil
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCNeil » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:47 pm

Hi Newtronsols,

This link I used will be available in your store account under the section "app design kit". The kit is cross platform so it runs on any operating system. I downloaded this zip for testing this specific issue so the icons should be contained within
Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 13.46.00.png
Kind Regards,

Neil Roger
--
RunRev Support Team ~ http://www.runrev.com

newtronsols

Post by newtronsols » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:18 pm

The problem was I was using the default windows unzip tool. Winrar resolved.

Return to “idea2app and Coding School”