Whaat is Livecode realy good for besides mobile apps???

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

[-hh]
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Whaat is Livecode realy good for besides mobile apps???

Post by [-hh] » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:49 pm

What do we learn from these several hundred of lines?
Let me summarize for all the 'complete beginners' in this forum who read until here.

Don't worry, don't run away. LC is not the limit. The limits are elsewhere.
Just imagine and start trusting fully in this:
"LiveCode is a flexible software platform that allows you to create any solution, the only limit is your imagination."
shiftLock happens

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:16 pm

amthonyblack wrote:Frankly I could do with just automation as basic as being able to place variables in web forms like form fillers do, I presume that could be done with post but I have seen indications Livecode has problems sending a click event to browsers.
Instead of wresting control of events across applications (which may present security or privacy risks), you could do this within your own application using LiveCode's revBrowser external and some JavaScript to coordinate between the DOM and LC. In a custom app the users' expectation of privacy can be tailored for the task the app performs, and offhand I see no reason you couldn't both fill in forms and retrieve form values using revBrowser.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

amthonyblack

Post by amthonyblack » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:43 pm

[-hh] wrote: Don't worry, don't run away. LC is not the limit. The limits are elsewhere.
Just imagine and start trusting fully in this:
"LiveCode is a flexible software platform that allows you to create any solution, the only limit is your imagination."
As the only complete beginner in this thread I will say to beginners ignore this claim.

There is no reason for this hyper evangelistic claim. For the foreseeable future it is not yet true. LC does have limits as does any relatively new endeavor. that does not mean its not a great system to start out with.

Telling people this with almost religious fervor is not good to any new person. Frankly its lying.

Live code cannot handle image recognition as you have learned in this thread, it cannot handle modern 3d gaming and quite a few other things.

Please stop lying to newbies, some of them kids/teens that you will excite that they can create the 3d games they have dreamed up in their minds only to dash their excitement when they find they cannot.
What do we learn from these several hundred of lines?
Let me summarize for all the 'complete beginners' in this forum who read until here.
That summary is as much a lie as is the quote that follows it.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:50 pm

amthonyblack wrote:Live code cannot handle image recognition
Actually I believe it can. Using native scripting wouldn't yield great performance, but there's enough in the language that it could be done with LiveCode alone. However, to do it well, a smarter implementation would use the LiveCode externals API.
it cannot handle modern 3d gaming
http://livecode.com/store/marketplace/f ... -3d-1-0-0/
http://franklin3d.net/franklin-3d-features
Richard Gaskin

amthonyblack

Post by amthonyblack » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:01 am

FourthWorld wrote:
amthonyblack wrote:Frankly I could do with just automation as basic as being able to place variables in web forms like form fillers do, I presume that could be done with post but I have seen indications Livecode has problems sending a click event to browsers.
Instead of wresting control of events across applications (which may present security or privacy risks), you could do this within your own application using LiveCode's revBrowser external and some JavaScript to coordinate between the DOM and LC. In a custom app the users' expectation of privacy can be tailored for the task the app performs, and offhand I see no reason you couldn't both fill in forms and retrieve form values using revBrowser.
Like I said I have seen others indicate that livecode cannot send a click to the browser and in those threads they were not talking about across third party applications. As for this privacy issue i keep seeing people mention whenever anyone talks about form filling. its really waaaay off base. Form fillers do not violate privacy, they merely help users utilize several of their passwords etc. Roboform. lastpass, and several browsers now have included autofill features. To add to that several sites that people use in various endeavors are highly repetitive and automation is used for that as well violating no privacy or rules

But yes if you are saying that mouse clicks can be sent to revbrowser that would be a step forward.

amthonyblack

Post by amthonyblack » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:04 am

FourthWorld wrote:[
it cannot handle modern 3d gaming
ivecodecom/store/marketplace/franklin-3d-1-0-0/
franklin3dnet/franklin-3d-features

having a 3d engine and being a good platform to develop games on are two different things. I have asked around and not a single game programmer I have encountered is recommending Livecode at this time for serious 3d games. Edit: Forget my sources - right here on Runrev forums the consensus is the same
Just to pop a bubble from the start - You are not gonna be able to do high-end games, 3D or AAA-rated titles and time soon.
Seriously not cool. stop misleading people. I realize you guys are gungho but its really no excuse. Livecode has limitations. simple
Actually I believe it can. Using native scripting wouldn't yield great performance, but there's enough in the language that it could be done with LiveCode alone. However, to do it well, a smarter implementation would use the LiveCode externals API.
and what? You are the second person to maintain this "belief" with no specifics on what would achieve this with the external APis.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:40 am

If you have specific questions on using LiveCode's externals API, we can find resources to help you.
Richard Gaskin

amthonyblack

Post by amthonyblack » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:50 am

FourthWorld wrote:If you have specific questions on using LiveCode's externals API, we can find resources to help you.
Great what is the specific way in which I would use the external APis to create working image recognition in Livecode. Since you have stated it can be done I assume that is based on actual knowledge of such resources that it can be.

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:57 am

Now we come to the point.
Let's take the example image recognition. I suppose you don't mean that LC can provide features that the "swarm intelligence" of scientists who have access to supercomputers currently is still trying to reach.
Let me instead speak of image handling. This is, as Fourthworld says, greatly doable with LC, you have access to each and every single pixel. For advanced features you have to buy or write yourself externals/ plugins. Even the flagship Photoshop cannot live without plugins.

I don't tell kids that LC gives them nearly ready made games (there are some), but that it is a tool to make games and to develop also their creativity.

Here is the point:

So is it for you, on a very high level, but still the same. You are looking for software that gives you procedures to immediately handle your ideas. That's nearly impossible to find if your ideas are good enough. But LC is software that gives you tools to develop procedures that handle your ideas. The only limit is your imagination.
shiftLock happens

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:59 am

Moderation note:

This thread seems to have run its course. The original question has been answered with the assistance of many forum members, and the remaining question about developing externals is not a beginners topic. Accordingly, this thread is now closed.

For help with developing externals for LiveCode, please see the "Building Externals/Plugins" section:
http://forums.runrev.com/viewforum.php?f=17

If anyone feels this moderation decision is not in the best interest of beginners sincerely interested in learning LiveCode you're welcome to email me directly, or write to the site owners at support AT runrev.com.
Richard Gaskin

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”