iOS Simulator

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

drkosta

iOS Simulator

Post by drkosta » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:51 pm

On my mac it is not possible to start the Simulator. There is an error: "Unable to start simulation: iOS-Simulator could not instal the app."

On my MacBook Pro the Simulator starts, but when i create a stack with MobGUI for iPhone retina, the Simulator (iOS 6.1) doesn't show the whole stack, only a quarter of it. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Kosta

EOTR

Re: iOS Simulator

Post by EOTR » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:33 pm

This was happening to me too. You probably have LC set to target a non-retina device, but you don't have the non-retina (iOS 5) SDK linked.

Assuming you do have the iOS 6.1 SDK linked, choose Development>Test Target>iPhone Simulator 6.1 in the menu. When the iOS Simulator comes up you might have to go to Hardware>Device>iPhone (Retina).

If you want to be able to target a non-retina device you have to go to Apple's dev site and download the old 4.4 version of Xcode (because Apple stuck the iOS 5 SDK in there). Per the instructions today you should keep it in a separate folder from your current version of Xcode so it doesn't copy over it. Then in LC go to Preferences>Mobile Support and link to the 4.4 version of Xcode to get the old iOS 5 SDK. Once its set up you'll have the option of choosing iPhone Simulator 5 in the Test Target menu. When you switch to the Simulator it will come up as what ever you chose in the Test Target menu.

Henry

dbcbos

Post by dbcbos » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:38 pm

Some more tips:

Make sure in your <b>standalone application settings</b> that you have Universal and 3.1.3 or later selected.

Also if you're tab buttons work in livecode, but not in the simulator, you probably forgot too add the preopencard code. In MobGui there is a button that says "Add preopencard handler to card script".

Missed this in the lesson or they haven't told us yet, haven't looked back the episode of yesterday.

EOTR

Post by EOTR » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:16 pm

dbcbos wrote:Make sure in your <b>standalone application settings</b> that you have Universal and 3.1.3 or later selected.
I forgot to mention this.
dbcbos wrote:Also if you're tab buttons work in livecode, but not in the simulator, you probably forgot too add the preopencard code. In MobGui there is a button that says "Add preopencard handler to card script".
This does seem really important. After 2 hours of struggling with my app not working this cleared everything up.

Return to “Summer School 2013”