Associating stacks managing mulitple stacks

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

reelstuff
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Associating stacks managing mulitple stacks

Post by reelstuff » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:15 pm

Is there a way to manage and associate multiple stacks or sub-stacks in a way that is easier to manage?

The reason I am interested in doing this is that I have a project that requires multiple levels of stacks, for example each stack would represent a choice for the user.

I could group the choices, and then set the visible of each group according to the choices made by the user, however that could quickly get confusing, it may be a good solution however keeping up with say 30 cards, and each group on each card, and referring to those in the code, would quickly get really frustrating.

I created a mind map for the layout of the cards and I wondered if there were any method of doing that in LC, (Visually) I suppose there may be some kind of vendor application but is there a standard method of viewing the cards in a way that when you have a need for keeping up with lots of different stacks and different types of text data it would be a lot easier to just drag and drop, add cards to a sub stack and associate that new sub stack vertically instead of the way you see it now which is just a list really.

I guess a Tree would be one way of thinking about this, if you had say a card and then a sub card, (just a thought) then you could literally create a method of managing your assets that makes more sense to the visual mind of most users.

(Ok back on land now)

I know a few years ago there was a stack that would show complex relationships I lost it somewhere long ago, but it would be interesting to see if the stack still worked on the more modern version of LC.

Also as always any thoughts suggestions, implications, sarcasm, or even insults are always welcome., O) :mrgreen:

dunbarx

Re: Associating stacks managing mulitple stacks

Post by dunbarx » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:41 pm

Hi.

You are aware that any new window of any kind in LiveCode has to be a stack (or subStack), correct? And that multiple cards can be included of any stack.

So when you say "group the choices", do you mean that you will show a new card with whatever group you need, or will show a new window with whatever?

The reason I ask is that I do not understand exactly what your question is. You mix the terms "group", which is a card object, with "subcards", of which I know little, and stacks and substacks, which are windows. I suspect you want to use a combination of all these. Can you give a quick example of a potential user action?

Craig Newman

reelstuff

Post by reelstuff » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:22 am

Hi, Craig yes, I was sort of wishing there was a visual method of organizing cards, for example if I had a stack with multiple sub stacks, it would be handy to be able to drag and drop sub-stacks and associate them with the "parent" stack, (As far as I know this does not yet exist) What I think would be interesting would be the ability to organize, say a sub-stacks by a category I choose, If for example I needed 10 substacks under one parent stack and so on, I could more easily manage how these cards interact and writing code would be much easier than referring to multiple groups and ID numbers, (I am probably not communicating this the right way, but as I was playing with a new software program, you could organize all your programming into a logical visual representation, this way I could easily navigate around the maze so to speak.

I seem to remember there was a stack that existed years ago, that could help in navigating the different parts of a script, it did not have this kind of visual organizer but it was helpful to track down scripts that perhaps were hard to locate, I may have to look that up to see if it is still around.

thanks for your reply, )

openworld

Post by openworld » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:41 pm

Agree with ReelStuff on the value of a visualization tool that would autocreate maps of LC stacks and substacks (and allow for moving or copying the contents).

Proquis has a dead-simple text <–> flowchart creation app that offers live updates of diagrams either by editing a script, or moving items around in the chart.

Screenshot: http://www.statcon.de/statconshop/image ... _de_03.jpg

openworld

Post by openworld » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:45 pm

Here's a web page with another screenshot of the Proquis script <–> chart creation tool: http://www.statcon.de/statconshop/image ... 2chart.gif

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”