Android Setup Blues

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

townsend
Livecode Opensource Backer

Android Setup Blues

Post by townsend » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:04 pm

I've download both the, installer_r12-windows.exe and the android-sdk_r12-windows.zip files from: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

When I run the exe, I get an error message saying the it can't find the JDK, and that needs to be installed.
I've got it. I've installed it twice. Live code recognizes it.
119 android setup.JPG
119 android setup.JPG (20.26 KiB) Viewed 8314 times
So I tried the zip file. There I simply copied the contents to it's own folder.
Looks good-- and when I double click on "SDK Manager.exe" it starts fine.

But I still can't get the Android Simulator to run. And when I try to Save as a Standalone, with the Android option checked, I get this LiveCode error message.
117 android error.JPG
This has got me worried. Any Suggestions?

paul_gr

Re: Android Setup Blues

Post by paul_gr » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:08 pm

This thread might be relevant.
http://forums.runrev.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... ass#p39615

cheers
Paul

PCH101

Post by PCH101 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:33 am

If the Android SDK can't find your JDK (Windows 7 64bit) install, just click on the "Back" button on the Android SDK installer then the "Next" button, the install should then work. :)

I know this is crazy but it worked for me.

Blessings.

wsamples
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by wsamples » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:36 am

I just installed r12 the other night. This "can't find the JDK" bug has apparently existed for at least two versions of the Android SDK. Hitting back and then next is the way to do it. Just an FYI: you may want to install this version of the SDK (the Android SDK) into some directory other than "Program Files". O/W you may fall victim to a bug regarding filepaths containing spaces. Happened to me and to others, as well. I ended up putting it in my home directory and all is well.

http://blog.andrew-jones.com/2011/07/08 ... d-sdk-r12/

townsend

Post by townsend » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:35 pm

Good find there PCH101-- that works.

Just for the record, I ended up downloading the .zip version. I simply copied the entire "android-sdk-windows" folder to my hard drive and double clicked on the "SDK.Manager.exe" which worked fine. I guess there are no required registry entries.

Thanks for your help guys.

Gijstebrij

Post by Gijstebrij » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:09 pm

Dear all,

I've been developing for Android for almost year, and I'm considering developing in LiveCode now as well. I've got the Android SDK installed and running fine with Eclipse on Mac OS 10.6. When I tried to test my newly built LiveCode 'Hello World' app, I already got stuck at setting up Android in LiveCode. when trying to select the SDK folder, I get the apparently often occurring 'The chosen folder is not a valid SDK folder' error, although the folder I selected definitely is the Android SDK folder.

I've updated the SDK (and installed all the new packages), restarted etc. but LiveCode still won't recognize my SDK folder as valid. I've strictly followed every step in the 'How do I become an Android developer on a Mac?' lesson, the only difference between the lesson, and what I've got, is that I've already installed API 8 Revision 3 instead of API 8 Revision 2.

I've got all latest versions installed of everything (except for Eclipse, but that shouldn't be a problem). It may be a rather stupid question, but as LiveCode looks rather promising I refuse to give up on it yet.

Thanks a lot in advance for all help,

Gijs

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:25 am

Hoi Gijs,

Als ik me niet vergis, ben je Nederlander. Ik heb zonder problemen de Android SDK geïnstalleerd en gebruik ik nu i.c.m. LiveCode. Ik help je graag verder op het Nederlandse LiveCode-forum.

Groet,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

ilpojGAMNPSN

Post by ilpojGAMNPSN » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:07 am

For the "chosen folder is not a valid android SDK folder"-error, you need specify the path where the sdk-manager's .exe file is. So just check it's location from the sdk-manager-icon from your desktop. It's in C:/users/yourname/AppData/Local/Android/etc... The "AppData" folder is hidden. So just copy paste the address to LiveCode directly from the address bar.

johnhb

Post by johnhb » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:45 pm

ilpojGAMNPSN wrote:For the "chosen folder is not a valid android SDK folder"-error, you need specify the path where the sdk-manager's .exe file is. So just check it's location from the sdk-manager-icon from your desktop. It's in C:/users/yourname/AppData/Local/Android/etc... The "AppData" folder is hidden. So just copy paste the address to LiveCode directly from the address bar.
I am still getting this eeror message and I cannot even cut/paste the folder location into LiveCode. I can only click the browse button to find the folder but nothing appears in the Livecode windows and I get the 'chosen folder is not a valid.....

I read on another blog that the LC mobile support looks for aapt.exe. I located this file in the C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\build-tools\17.0.0 folder but even pointing LC mobile support there I still get the 'chosen folder in not valid..' error message.

Can someone please help me here, I am getting confused with all the various posts and different suggestions.
Running Windows 7 64 bit. Installed LC 6.0.2 rc1 build 1520.

Return to “Android Deployment”