Mobile Support for ADT

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

daryl

Mobile Support for ADT

Post by daryl » Fri May 24, 2013 5:37 pm

Hi Folks,

I really goofed and posted this inadvertently to the iOS forum <chagrined/> (not surprisingly without any results). I am trying to build this app for both platforms, and having different bootstrapping problems with both. I am hoping someone in this forum can help me with the Android issue.

I am somewhat new to LiveCode and really like it. I am trying to develop an Android app but have run into the following problem when trying to set the path to the SDK in the Mobile Support option of the preferences:

The chosen folder is not a valid Android SDK. Please ensure you have installed it correctly, and enabled support for Android 2.2 (Froyo).

I am certain the SDK is installed correctly and working, as i am using it in Eclipse without any problem. I am running on Mac OS X 10.8.3 with LiveCode version 6 and Android 4.2.2 and I have installed the 2.2 API. If I can supply further information, please let me know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Daryl

Simon
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Mobile Support for ADT

Post by Simon » Fri May 24, 2013 9:48 pm

Hi Daryl,
Which version of the ADT did you download? I know that Revision 22 does not work in Windows and I think the same is for Mac.
Here is an older ADT:
http://dl.google.com/android/android-sd ... macosx.zip

I don't know if that one will solve your problems but it's a revision working in Windows. Watch out it will ask if you want to upgrade to revision 22.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

daryl

Post by daryl » Tue May 28, 2013 6:08 pm

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your reply. I downloaded the android-sdk_r20.0.3 from the link you provided and installed the 2.2 API but still get the same error message. I actually did it twice just to make sure I hadn't screwed up, but both times android updated itself to version 22 when I installed the 2.2 API. Do you know if there is some way to install the 2.2 API without the SDK updating itself? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Daryl

Simon

Post by Simon » Wed May 29, 2013 12:59 am

Hi Daryl,
There is a upgrade to Revision 22 tick box that I think gets automatically checked when you are downloading the API. Just make sure that is unchecked.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

daryl

Post by daryl » Wed May 29, 2013 1:12 am

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the information. Actually I just downloaded LiveCode 6.0.2 rc 1, which fixes this particular problem.
The download is available at:

http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/6_0_2/

for anyone having the same problem.

Thanks again for your help Simon, it is much appreciated.

Regards,

Daryl

johnhb

Post by johnhb » Thu May 30, 2013 6:35 am

I have downloaded LiveCode 6.0.1 and ADT 20.0.3. I am still getting the error message:
The chosen folder is not a valid Android-sdk....enabled support for Android 2.2 (froyo).

I saw the previous post and downloaded Livecode 6.0.2 but that is the commercial version.

After reading this forum and other internet blogs, I am totally confused about using Livecode and Android SDK.

I am totally new to this so I help someone can walk me through the steps to get this software going.

Using Windows 7, IE 10.

Thanks

John B

daryl

Post by daryl » Thu May 30, 2013 5:06 pm

Hi John,

The first three links (linux, mac & windows) are community editions of 6.0.2-rc-1 at:

http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/6_0_2/

Also if you are using the android sdk bundle the livecode 6.0.1-rc1 is supposed to work if you point to the sdk directory inside the sdk root.
You might want to have a look at the following bug report for more information:

http://quality.runrev.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10927

The problem appears to have been caused by a restructuring of the android sdk directory layout.

Regards,

Daryl

Alces

Post by Alces » Thu May 30, 2013 11:29 pm

I'm starting to lose too much hair trying to get the Android SDK working (for the first time I have no old installations). I looked at the bug report which claimed to have fixed the issue. I downloaded and installed LC 6.0.2 RC1 and I downloaded and installed SDK R22.0.1 (although the how-to documents don't match the Android SDK Manager so I'm unsure if I did it correctly). Regardless I get the same error in the LC preferences setting that has been repeatedly reported. The clutter of postings on this issue makes me unsure what i should be doing. At this pace this is one new developer that will soon be a past developer.

johnhb

Post by johnhb » Fri May 31, 2013 1:14 am

Thanks, Daryl for pointing me to the community version 6.0.2.
However I am still getting the same error. There is no sdk folder in the Android/android-sdk folder or sub-folders.
I registered for LiveCode quality control centre so that I could read bug 10927 but I could not see any solution there.
Obviously I am still missing something here.

daryl

Post by daryl » Fri May 31, 2013 4:51 pm

Hi Johnhb,

It looks like the sdk directory only exists in the "ADT Bundled <platform>" download.
Try downloading the bundle (includes Eclipse and ADT) for your platform and you should find the sdk directory in there.
That actually worked for me even with the 6.0 build.

I hope this helps, I know it's frustrating.

Regards,

Daryl

Alces

Post by Alces » Fri May 31, 2013 11:58 pm

Johnhb: I hope you had better luck because i still have the same error. The Eclipse bundle is just that, Eclipse plus the SDK. The SDK folders look just like the one downloaded separately so I don't see why this bundle should work any better (and it didn't). Is there something magical about the folder name maybe?

Daryl: If you got something to work how about some screenshots?

Gone drinking (should have started several days ago)....Alces

Alces

Post by Alces » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:02 pm

I got a fix!! Search for recent SDK posts - Topic 15171 (sorry I can't figure out how to link to it). There is info on downloading an older SDK which I was able to make work.

So despite the comment in the bug database that LC 6.0.2 fixes the issue with the current SDK my experience says no. Reversing to the old SDK is better than nothing.

- Alces

johnhb

Post by johnhb » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:07 am

Hmmm, sure can be frustrating. I had already downloaded the ADT bundle and tried to get LC to recognise the sdk folder that exists when you unzip the ADT zipped file but I get the same old message. Tried several sub folder etc etc but still no joy...just the same old error message. Will try to find the topic mentioned above and see what happens then.

Update.. I looked at topic 15171. Downloaded installer_r20.0.3 changed it to read installer_r21.1-windows.exe as per the topic and run the installer. Got version 20.0.3. Unticked the upgrade to version 22 when the sdk manager started, but I had to choose 4.2.2 as nothing was installed. Somewhere in the installation of those packages the adt was upgraded to version 22.
I am going around in circles here. Have installed/uninstalled ADT at least 6 times. Have tried using the adt-bundles-windows-x86_64_20130514.zip and unzipped it to another folder. It has an sdk folder but I still get the same error message...Chosen folder.....
Running out of ideas and patience.
Last edited by johnhb on Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

daryl

Post by daryl » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:38 pm

So there apparently is more to this than meets the eye. What works for some does not work for others. I've attached some screenshots in case they might prove helpful, but they only show that I am running LiveCode 6.0.2-rc-1 with ADT revision 22, which is working fine on OS X Mountain Lion.

I found the following information at http://www.grok2.com/blog/2011/10/06/us ... evision-3/

Copy the folder <android-sdk>\platform-tools\
to <android-sdk>\platforms\android-8\tools\

That might prove helpful to somebody, although it was not for me. Also there is an article out there, that I am now not able to find again, that explains in some detail that the problem stems from the changes made to the ADT directory structure. I searched over the weekend, but unfortunately was not able to find the article. It would be nice if someone from RunRev would get involved here and provide some answers to the community.

Best Regards,

Daryl
Attachments
About Android SDK.png
About Android SDK
LiveCode Preferences.png
LiveCode Preferences
About LiveCode.png
This is the "about" window from LiveCode 6.0.2-rc-1

GPJMA
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by GPJMA » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:11 pm

Wow
I knew I couldnt be alone.
I am having these and other issues getting Android set up but in Windows 8.
Havnt tried on my Macs yet.Dont think I will bother.
Just for information...what worked for me this morning will not work tonight.
After finding a further problem I unistalled everything to fix it, knowing (oops) that my reinstall would be ok in preferences but no no no. Back came the message....... cant build the class.......Froyo etc etc.
Now I cannot get anything to work. This is worse than getting iOS set up.
I hope Runrev has an answer....there doesnt seem to be one anywhere right now.
Cheers.

Return to “Android Deployment”