Any Way To Open Your Build In Eclipse or Android Studio?

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

sumpm1

Any Way To Open Your Build In Eclipse or Android Studio?

Post by sumpm1 » Wed May 22, 2013 7:16 pm

So once i compile an app, I see that we just get the .apk. Of course we can install and run this on a device or emulator.

But is there any way that we can modify the Android code in another IDE after the app is built?

I am just wondering because Android Studio just came out, it looks amazing. But I don't know enough about Java/Android to even get started using Android Studio.

If I could import an app built in LiveCode, I could learn about Android Studio through experimentation on my own apps.

BvG
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Any Way To Open Your Build In Eclipse or Android Studio?

Post by BvG » Thu May 23, 2013 9:56 am

LiveCode creates compiled c++ applications. To work in Android, those are wrapped with some small Java parts. That means of course that once compiled, there is no way to use any tool (not even the LC IDE itself) to modify code in those finished applications, just as you can't "open" the code of microsofts word.exe or apples mail.app.

Disclaimer: It is actually possible to look at some code of some apps, and it's also possible to edit them (that is for example, how games DRM measures are hacked). But that always takes a lot of knowledge, patience and dedication. It's mostly about using hex editors and fiddling with binary data directly.
Various teststacks and stuff:
http://bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers:
chat.freenode.net:6666 #livecode

sumpm1

Post by sumpm1 » Sat May 25, 2013 12:09 am

BvG wrote:LiveCode creates compiled c++ applications. To work in Android, those are wrapped with some small Java parts.
I see, so it would be impossible to output from LiveCode to another IDE...

The fact that you can just wrap c++ files on other platforms is convenient. That way whatever I see running in LiveCode IS EXACTLY what I will see running on other platforms. That is a nice feature really.

Even if I can't modify things in-between LiveCode and the output platform by way of an IDE.

qberty1337

Post by qberty1337 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:04 pm

What you can do, is while you compile or test an app for an android device, rush to the temporary folder and copy out the source code that livecode generates first before it compiles it.

I've done this a couple of times to edit some things in the manifest and layout xmls. Simple open up the main.xml or manifest/source code in Android studio or Eclipse and compile using those IDE's if you wanted.

The difficult part is timing the compiler in livecode just right to go fishing for the compiled java code in your %TEMP% folder.

Return to “Android Deployment”