macos keyboard accented characters in fields

Want to move your code and projects to LiveCode but don't know where to start?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, robinmiller

neville

macos keyboard accented characters in fields

Post by neville » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:30 pm

After being away from Revolution coding for a few years, I have been asked to convert some very old HC stacks for teaching French, since they want to continue using them under Leopard. Looked straightforward until I realised that Revolution text fields don't appear to accept the old Mac keyboard input for accented characters (option-e e for e acute for example) even tho' other transASCII characters (option-v for square root) are accepted. What I am I missing? Can these characters be re-enabled? Presumably this is an old question but I haven't found it in FAQ. (Using a French keyboard for input is not an option)

BvG
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by BvG » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:14 pm

I think these key combination vary with each keyboard layout. Option-e (for example) is € (euro sign) on the swiss german keyboard. So you need to find the correct combination for the layout you are using.
Various teststacks and stuff:
http://bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers:
chat.freenode.net:6666 #livecode

neville

Post by neville » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:35 pm

Thanks BvG, but perhaps I didn't explain properly.The keyboard in this case is US (or more precisely Australian!). e-acute é on this keyboard is produced by a combination of optionKey-e followed by the e key --- optionKey-e is a delayed key producing accents on various letters determined by the next keyDown. But Revolution fields apparently ignore these delayed combination key events, unlike any other Mac app I know. I could indeed ask the user to change to another keyboard input method, eg French, which produce é with a single keystroke, but that is undesirable in this case.

BvG

Post by BvG » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:43 pm

Ah delayed keys... As these work properly on my keyboard layout (for example alt-^ then the "a" char for á), I don't have any further tips for you. However I'd say this is a bug, one that you could enter in the bugtracking thingy from runrev.

And I never suggested to change the layout to anything else (Just to make that perfectly clear).
Various teststacks and stuff:
http://bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers:
chat.freenode.net:6666 #livecode

neville

Post by neville » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:41 pm

ahh, if delayed keys work for you it prob is as you say a bug, but it may be an old one --- since I haven't used RR for some time, my version is 2.2.

Return to “Converting to LiveCode”