text not entering fields

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

cusingerBUSCw5N

text not entering fields

Post by cusingerBUSCw5N » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:26 pm

I have an app that works great on my desktop. I am deploying it to an android device and some basic functionality has disappeared.

When you click on one of my fields (to enter an email address), the cursor flashes in the field, the keyboard appears, but when you type, nothing appears in the field. It's not a color problem - because the cursor doesn't move.

mind boggling... and I have no idea how to debug/solve it.

help please!!!

cusingerBUSCw5N

Re: text not entering fields - android

Post by cusingerBUSCw5N » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:13 pm

Have done some more testing. I am using a Samsung Galaxy Tablet. Typing in any symbol works. Typing in punctuation works. Typing in letters or numbers doesn't. The only way to get a letter to work is if it suggests a word and you click on it - then it will show the first letter only.

No problems when I try entering text in notepad on the Tablet.

Same problem when I try the sample tickedoff application.

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: text not entering fields

Post by jacque » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:18 pm

Are you using a third-party keyboard? Some keyboards aren't compatible. I've found the stock Android keyboard and the Samsung keyboard to be okay. Swiftkey actually causes a crash.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

cusingerBUSCw5N

Post by cusingerBUSCw5N » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:23 pm

I'm using a basic Samsung Tablet Galaxy model GT-P3113. Out of the box - no extras, nothing fancy. I basically bought and registered the tablet and haven't done anything to it except turn on the developers mode.

I did a test on a basic app with one field only. Nothing else. Same problem. I have put an email into Tech Support because this doesn't appear to have anything to do with coding (unless I'm missing a script - but nothing seems to be in the forums)..

jacque

Post by jacque » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:59 am

Does the field have a script that might be blocking text entry?

What's the text size of the field set to? I had a similar issue once and it turned out the text was so small it couldn't be seen. Android's text sizes are kind of wonky, they seem to be about half what they look like on the desktop. It sounds like you can see the few characters that do get entered though, so that's probably not it.

cusingerBUSCw5N

Post by cusingerBUSCw5N » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:59 pm

You're right about the size. But I can see symbols - and the first letter if a suggested word is chosen.

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:25 pm

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas, I've never seen what you describe unless there was a script somewhere that was filtering input. That would be the most likely explanation. When you get an answer from tech support, I'd be curious to know what they say.

A workaround would be to use a native input field instead.

cusingerBUSCw5N

Post by cusingerBUSCw5N » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:34 pm

I just tested it on another Samsung - same problem.

I am wondering if it is because I am using a personal version of LiveCode (I didn't want to get the whole thing until I knew it would do what I want).

Otherwise, could my software be corrupt?

jshprentzGA9b3f

Post by jshprentzGA9b3f » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:10 am

I see a similar problem on my T-Mobile Samsung Exhibit II.

The phone uses an unaltered, out-of-the-box keyboard setup, which include Swype. I tested it with the Ticked Off application from RunRev's summer 2011 video lessons. My form uses a LiveCode text field (with that cool Motif look), not a native field. If I tap letter by letter, the full text appears. If I swipe in a word, only the first letter appears.

The Livecode Android release notes warn that "at this time, only simple keyboards that provide a one-to-one mapping between keys and characters will function correctly." That detail is not mentioned among the Android device features at http://www.runrev.com/products/Overview/

Perhaps the native fields work better, but I have yet to find an example LiveCode Android app that uses them.

cusingerBUSCw5N

Post by cusingerBUSCw5N » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:52 pm

Thanks for your response. I am sorry to think that this is a bigger problem... I was hoping that it was just a setting that I hadn't made. I have a support case set up and if there are any solutions, I will post them.

jacque

Post by jacque » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:14 pm

I wouldn't expect Swype to work except by tapping each letter, since it wouldn't meet the engine specs during a swipe. At least it doesn't crash like Swiftkey does. :) I haven't yet built an app for Android with the latest version of LiveCode so the problem may be a new bug. Hopefully support will report it for you if one of you hasn't already.

I'm fairly certain native input controls would work fine, since they use native OS features directly. I don't have any example apps to point you to, but the scripting is identical on both iOS and Android. Any of the examples in the sample lessons should work.

cusingerBUSCw5N

Post by cusingerBUSCw5N » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:25 pm

Sorry for being ignorant...but what are native input controls?

sturgis
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by sturgis » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:41 pm

Look at mobilecontrolcreate to see what native controls you can use. I haven't really messed with them yet though so can't give much more info than that.

cusingerBUSCw5N

Post by cusingerBUSCw5N » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:36 pm

this is what I received from tech support:

Using Native Android Text control you will be able to select the full text from the keyboard. Please see this example code:

on mouseUp
put "input" into tControlType
mobileControlCreate tControlType, "myFirstInputField"
mobileControlSet "myFirstInputField", "visible", true mobileControlSet "myFirstInputField", "rect", "50,50,500,500"
end mouseUp

As of LiveCode Text control, this seems to be bug. We have reported it to the quality center, please see the bug report here:

http://quality.runrev.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10403

Haven't tried their solution yet -

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:25 pm

Thanks for posting that, it did look like a bug to me too.

Return to “Android Deployment”