Cancelling Fades

Create fast, sprite powered games with Animation Engine, co-developed with DerBrill Software!

Moderators: heatherlaine, kevinmiller, robinmiller, malte

qberty1337

Cancelling Fades

Post by qberty1337 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:18 pm

Is there a way to cancel aeFading in or out ? An example why I would need this is:

Say I want to aeFadeIn a button after mousing over another button. Then aeFadeOut the same button when mousing away from the button I was already on. If I were to do this slowly, then the other button would fade In and fade out normally. But if I were to mouseover and past a button, the aeFadeOut call would glitch the aeFadeIn without letting it finish.

Would there be a way to hold off the fading in or out of a different object until a certain condition is met?

Another example is:

I have a next button that fades in objects on a card. everytime a user clicks next, it would fade a different set of objects. If a person were to double click or quadruple click the next button, it would glitch a fade out of all the objects, instead of the 2nd or 4th set of objects.

I want to be able to stop aeFadeOut or aeFadeIn, sort of like how AnimationEngine has aeStopMoving.

malte

Re: Cancelling Fades

Post by malte » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:27 pm

I am afraid not yet. I will put this on my to do list for the next version.

What could work however would be to lock messages, then go through the pendingmessages and cancel the fading stuff.

Like this:

Code: Select all

lock messages
repeat for each line theMessage in the pendingMessages
  if "_aeFade" is in theMessage then cancel item 1 of theMessage
end repeat
unlock messages
-- do your regular stuff here

Hth,

Malte

qberty1337

Post by qberty1337 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:35 am

Hey,

Thanks. Never thought about it that way. I'll use this for now then.

Can't wait for the next version of ae. Anything new in it? Mobile related? Desktop related?

Thanks again.

malte

Post by malte » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:01 pm

Well,

without anything new it would not make much sense to have a new version :-D

Jokes aside. I am working on a couple of things I am not yet commited to talking about (at least not unless I have at least left the proof of concept stage), however, I will ensure that new things work across platforms.

All the best,

Malte

qberty1337

Post by qberty1337 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:25 pm

Do you think it'd be possible to allow the new version to check props? Or rather, have certain functions allow an extra parameter that could check a prop to cancel itself to make the process more accurate?

There's also a couple other features that kind of makes sense to me, like having a way to re-aeMoveTo an object to it's original position with an extra parameter or something. Mainly just cosmetic stuff that would take less preparation on my end :P

malte

Post by malte » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:51 pm

I'll make a thread called wishlist and will pin it. Please post suggestions there :-)

Return to “Animation Engine”