Deployment to WEB

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

wallywld

Re: Deployment to WEB

Post by wallywld » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:32 am

I have a revlet I've been running for a while, but since the 10.6.8/Safari 5.1 update it no longer works. I can't run it on Chrome or Firefox either.

Does anybody know if the plugin broke somehow? I'm using R9

Thanks for the info

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:11 pm

Hi Wally,

if I remember right, the plugin does not work with Safari 5.1 (yet).
Sigh :(

Best

Klaus

reelstuff
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by reelstuff » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:27 pm

good points, I am following up on some few things in the LC, (Brave new world approach)

I was hoping to find some substantial improvements in this product, the website references,
LiveCode Player Version 4.5 is expected to start testing in October 2010 to members of the LiveCode Developer Program who have the Web Deployment Pack
I have noticed this sort of what they call target fixation, where only one thing gets the grease, and the rest of the platform seems to languish in a sort of Hades. Anyone know if this is going to be abandoned or if they plan on moving on this thing, it would be good to know if this is something that is going to change or if its just DOA.

Dixie
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Dixie » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:30 pm

Hi..

The web plugin works perfectly with the 'stainless' web browser

be well

Dixie

reelstuff

Post by reelstuff » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:45 pm

Interesting, too bad they don't have a multi platform variant, I have been waiting since 2008, hoping to see a full implementation, because I have some projects it would work perfectly for, but sadly, it appears, to be headed for the Attic, or the basement, not sure which.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:48 pm

Waiting since 2008 is a long time. What do you need from RevWeb that you can't make with JavaScript?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

reelstuff

Post by reelstuff » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:44 am

The contained, nature of the code, makes it unlikely that what I am doing can be shared, easily, I have a custom PHP backend, which I really do not want to encrypt, however it needs to be protected from those that would share it with unauthorized users, the revweb, product, can create a method of distribution that would effectively increase the longevity of the product and change the display from ordinary to extraordinary.

For example (I have a writer, script, with three fields, that I need to combine words and phrases, pre, middle, post, together it creates a sentence.

(it is for helping people with reading and learning issues learn to read faster) (sort of like a game for older kids or adults with learning challenges,)

The trouble comes when you have to generate a combination of output from the three fields, and combine it into a text editor. My Challenge, is that using javascript, you have to instantiate, each javascript powered, text area, and that creates an issue with the core scripting that I am using now, this requires a solution that can be autonomous, but also asynchronous, (rev web would be great for this) so When you select one set of words, the focus shifts from the one text area to another, this defeats the purpose of the exercise, which is to help those that are challenged, to learn to do something using simple point and click or drag and drop methods.

a rev web "container" would do this for me and reduce the likely chances that the back end would easily be shared or distributed in an unauthorized manner.

When I was in Las Vegas, in 2008, I had this idea that I could combine my custom back end and distribute some interesting solutions, that would make it very difficult to copy, (not impossible as you know) but difficult enough to where most people would find that developing a competing product in the same field more difficult, the problem is that I have never been able to test a fully functioning, rev web product, that worked on safari, and a windows, browser, like firefox,

I even thought about possibly requiring a certain browser, (which would be ok for MAC OSX users, (as was reported, stainless works) but for windows users, (sadly still so many people use them) it would leave them out, as interesting as it would be to have a statement, at the website, (sorry windows users this product only works for MAC users) I cant bring myself to do that.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:18 pm

Thanks for providing that background. I'm having a difficult time imaging the UI in detail, but given the broad range of amazing JS stuff I've seen I'm pretty confident it could be done in JS quite well.

But more interesting was your note that this will be for OS X only. May I ask why you would limit the audience of something that sounds very useful to such a relatively small subset? I like my Mac and all (I'm typing this on my MBP now), but there's another 90% of the world who might benefit from your app.

Moreover, a Web app, even one driven by a plugin, raises expectations of interoperability; indeed, OS-specific web apps, even those for Windows with its 87% market share, aren't something we see much anymore, and shouldn't be necessary with either JS or RevWeb.

But given this deployment focus, there may be another option worth considering: a standalone.

Whether using RevWeb or a standalone, either will have to be downloaded and installed. But with a standalone you're in control of when the engine gets updated, and can still enjoy all the benefits of strong UI, web connectivity, and rapid development.

Such an app can be very slender: a one-time download of the engine bound to a stack that does nothing but grab the latest UI stack from your server:

go url "http://mydomain/mystack.rev"

All data can still benefit from calls to your PHP backend, but you have total control over the user experience, completely unencumbered by the limitations of a Web browser.

And you could ship today, without needing to wait for any enhancements to RevWeb.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

DunedinMultimedia

Post by DunedinMultimedia » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:59 am

reelstuff wrote:good points, I am following up on some few things in the LC, (Brave new world approach)

I was hoping to find some substantial improvements in this product, the website references,
LiveCode Player Version 4.5 is expected to start testing in October 2010 to members of the LiveCode Developer Program who have the Web Deployment Pack
I have noticed this sort of what they call target fixation, where only one thing gets the grease, and the rest of the platform seems to languish in a sort of Hades. Anyone know if this is going to be abandoned or if they plan on moving on this thing, it would be good to know if this is something that is going to change or if its just DOA.

I think this is exactly what's happened. I took up the issue with RunRev customer support recently, who told me a fix would be available "by the end of the year" ...so clearly web deployment is not on the front or back burner :/ And my request for a refund was ignored.

wallywld

Post by wallywld » Tue May 08, 2012 10:18 pm

So is there a runtime engine now that runs on Safari 5.1?

I have an application that I would like to run on Safari, but haven't for a long time.

What is the official stance on this?

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Wed May 09, 2012 10:01 am

Hi Wally,
wallywld wrote:So is there a runtime engine now that runs on Safari 5.1?
No.
wallywld wrote:I have an application that I would like to run on Safari, but haven't for a long time.
Don't count on this!
wallywld wrote:What is the official stance on this?
Silence (since a long time).

To quote Mr. McCoy: "It's dead, Jim!"
At least that's my opinion.

Best

Klaus

paul_gr

Post by paul_gr » Wed May 09, 2012 10:18 pm

Browser developers are slowly but surely phasing out plugins in favor of HTML5, so long term using a plugin won't cut it.
I made training projects in Shockwave for a decade. However users are being conditioned against installing plugins now -- Jobs comments against Flash didn't help...
Runrev like any company have to follow the money to stay viable. I am sure they have noticed that plugins are becoming unwelcome in the browser world. You will probably have to use another way to produce future projects..

cheers
Paul

neil

Post by neil » Thu May 10, 2012 6:05 pm

Very good point Paul-- I'm sure that's why the web browser plugin hasn't been updated.

I often wondered if it would even be possible to accommodate all of LiveCodes features via HTML5.
Maybe there would have to be a reduced feature set.

Or-- it might be even better-- if liveCode could produce a Java .war file.
Then there would be no need for a limited feature set.

Return to “Talking LiveCode”