Meeting: Dec. 1 in Pasadena

Discussion forum for the Southern California LiveCode Developer Group

Moderators: FourthWorld, Klaus, robinmiller

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Meeting: Dec. 1 in Pasadena

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:38 pm

scobeyr wrote:BTW... the restuarant didn't seem to be aware that he meeting was cancelled. They had the back room setup for the group.
I called the restaurant within minutes of my posting the cancellation notice here, letting them know that we were cancelling the meeting in light of the declared state of emergency, but intend to maintain our "first Thursday" reservation for January forward. I don't know why the manager I spoke with didn't inform the staff, but I did everything I could to keep them informed.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

scobeyr

Post by scobeyr » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:45 pm

FourthWorld wrote:I'm very sorry you made the trip...
Richard,

I just read your post. That was entirely my fault for not checking the forum. No need to apologize. I was running a bit late, and was a little too anxious.
I hope to make the next meeting. I'm new to Live Code, and have a "few" questions.

See you next time!
Richard Scobey

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:28 pm

scobeyr wrote:I just read your post. That was entirely my fault for not checking the forum. No need to apologize. I was running a bit late, and was a little too anxious.
And with all previous meetings you would have been greeted with at least a half-dozen other smiling faces, so normally there would be no need to check the forums. You acted on the information you had, unaware of the bizarre unexpected circumstances. I hope you at least stayed to enjoy a good meal there. :)

The odds of having such a strange event triggering a city-wide emergency concurrent with one of our meetings is hopefully low, so I doubt we'll be in this position again.

That said, we do live in an earthquake-prone area so I'll take this moment to plug the local fire department's CERT program:
http://www.cert-la.com/index.shtml

The fire departments in most major cities in the US offer Community Emergency Response Team training programs, free to the public and requiring between one and four days depending on the scope of training. In the event of a large-scale event like an earthquake, the training provided in CERT programs can be invaluable in coordinating local response from members of your community in the interim before the local emergency response professionals can arrive.

I've taken two CERT training programs in Pasadena, and learned a lot about search-and-rescue basics, triage, first aid, and perhaps most importantly preparedness (maintaining stocks of food, water, and medical supplies which may be otherwise unavailable during such an event).

I strongly recommend CERT training for every able-bodied person. Your participation can make a big difference in how your neighborhood is able to handle such an event, and you may be in a position to help save lives. Of course we hope such training will never be needed, but if it is you'll be glad you've had it.

I hope to make the next meeting. I'm new to Live Code, and have a "few" questions.
Looking forward to seeing you there. Brings lots of questions - I live nearby so I can be there till they close. :)
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “SoCal LiveCode Group”