Moving from VS

Want to move your code and projects to LiveCode but don't know where to start?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, robinmiller

jdii

Moving from VS

Post by jdii » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:47 pm

Hi!

I have few questions about Livecode and it capabilities. I have one commercial application build in VS 2008 and want to make it cross-platform. It is advanced client/server application with lots of data in database(for now SQLite, but we want to use Postgresql in new version). The datagrid should be capable to have few hundreds of rows with no problem.

Is it Livecode good program language for building commercial software like this? Is there any third party(or built in) control for managing serial keys, obfuscating exetable files, etc.?

Also, the ui is little cheap to me..I get totally messed up with stacks not arranged in tabs and code editor, property window, etc. Is there any replacement or Eclipse, Netbeans plugin(I couldn't find anything on Google :))? Or does anybody have some sugestion how to manage multiple stacks and windows when creating application which is this big.

Thanks!

BvG
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Moving from VS

Post by BvG » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:11 pm

There's GLX as an alternative, and if you want a different way to arrange stacks, there's a few free tool stacks floating around. Most people use windows as windows in the ide, not caring for managing them at all, and using the "Application Browser" from the Tools menu. It's trivial to make your own list of stack files, if you depend on that, for example:

Code: Select all

--some button
on mouseUp
 put the substacks of the mainstack of this stack into field "list"
end mouseUp

--field "list"
on selectionChanged
 go stack (the selectedText of me)
end selectionChanged
Serial keys can be generated with this third party add on: http://www.hyperactivesw.com/solutions_zygodact.html

Yes, LC can do what you want.
Various teststacks and stuff:
http://bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers:
chat.freenode.net:6666 #livecode

jdii

Re: Moving from VS

Post by jdii » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:47 am

Hi!

Thanks for answer.

I saw GLX some time ago, but the lastest version is from 2009, so I suppose that it isn't in development any more..or there is no need for new version?

Just few more questions :) Is this normal: for example, if I have one button and label and in button click event I change text in label, why this text remains when I exit debug mode? I expect that everything on stack resets to state prior debugging. Does Livecode supports UTF-8 and unicode caracters out of the box?

I need to have in my application control like Office 2007/2010 calendar/scheduling. Is there anything like that?

Will there be some promotions for 3tr pary addons in some bundle like it was on beggining of the year(I fonud this on net) :)

Thanks a lot! I'm very interested in buying Livecode but don't want to spend $1000 or $1500 and that I'm not satisfied. Does personal Mac/Win version has all the features of Gold bundle or complete bundle? Just to start developing and to see how things will go, and then buy commercial version.

Return to “Converting to LiveCode”