RevServer deployment on OSX Server

Are you using LiveCode to create server scripts or CGIs?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Clarkey

RevServer deployment on OSX Server

Post by Clarkey » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:18 pm

Hi folks,
I promised to publish some notes on the above - new to blogging as well as LiveCode and OSX server, so I hope they help a bit:
• OSX Server vs Regular OSX considerations: http://blog.clarityforsuccess.com/2011/ ... s-osx.html
• Configuring OSX Server for revServer: http://blog.clarityforsuccess.com/2011/ ... opard.html
• RevServer and OSX Server Custom sites: http://blog.clarityforsuccess.com/2011/ ... e-for.html
Best,
Keith..

TheCore

Re: RevServer deployment on OSX Server

Post by TheCore » Mon May 30, 2011 2:40 am

Tnx for those guides. I just installed the revserver on a Mac Mini with OSX Server 10.6.7 (Snow Leopard) and all works just fine. That is; I didn't get the "semi-automatic" setup with the Server Admin to work, but when I went for the manual setup it all fell into place. I didn't even have to drule with the Terminal to get it working. I'm using my server as a development server on my local network, thought fully accessible from the outside internet if you know the ip address (dynamic assigned from ISP).
When combining the OSX Server environment with revServer, MySQL, Livecode 4.6 and the amazing Coda - I see the potential going beyound the regular PHP-usage. Unfortunally, Coda doesn't yet have a Mode for the IREV-syntax. So the coding is all in "black & White" more or less. Livecode's script editor doesn't seam to have evolved the last tousand years, and that is a tragedy considering the power that could come from the revServer.

I think the revServer has been put aside by RunRev after they went into the App-fog with the rest of the developer-world, and therefor dosen't seam to get out of the pre-release stage. Lets hope the App-hysterica burn out and the developers come crawling back to the real world so we can get some speed on the revServer development. It got a great potensial! If not, lets hope there will come an App that fixes all this.

bangkok
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by bangkok » Mon May 30, 2011 7:06 am

TheCore wrote: I think the revServer has been put aside by RunRev after they went into the App-fog with the rest of the developer-world, and therefor dosen't seam to get out of the pre-release stage. Lets hope the App-hysterica burn out and the developers come crawling back to the real world so we can get some speed on the revServer development. It got a great potensial! If not, lets hope there will come an App that fixes all this.
I totally agree with you. RevServer has been put on the side, despite like you said, its great potential.

(I like the "app-hysteria" gimmick ;-) )

More than an "advanced" editor (me too, I use just NotePad), i think RevServer needs a :
-a final release (the "alpha" stage since 2 years is a little bit ridiculous)
-and a commercial/distribution policy (that's the main point I believe)

When we get those 2 points, then we will see clearer.

I still believe that we need "several" On-Rev, AKA web hosting companies who propose revServer to their own customers, as an alternative to PHP.
And even from a geographical point of view,it makes sense : OnRev is located in the US. What can I do if i want to have a high speed web hosting for europeans customers for instance ?

A lot of questions.

Anyway, revserver + mysql totally rock.

Long live Revserver !!!

Martin Koob

Post by Martin Koob » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:15 pm

Thanks for these explanations. I was able to install the newly released Livecode Server 4.6.3 on my Snow Leopard server by following your explanations and making the necessary changes to the the name change from revserver to livecode-server and extensions from .irev to .lc et-cetera.

hyperchris

Post by hyperchris » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:31 am

Thanks for blogging your efforts. I just ran through it with the irev to LC adjustments and your test code worked fine.

In my old Darwin CGI setup I would put in a file that looked like this ...
#!revolution
on startup
read from stdin until empty
get "params" && it
... do some work here or in another stack somewhere
put it
end startup

... and that doesn't appear to work anymore. I changed the first line to match the new engine name but no dice it just barfs back the contents of the script file. Has this method been dropped?

Return to “CGIs and the Server”