iOS scrolling text field. How?

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

rumplestiltskin

iOS scrolling text field. How?

Post by rumplestiltskin » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:31 pm

I have a bunch of text I want to display in a locked text field that the user needs to be able to scroll up or down as desired. If I use a scrolling field from LiveCode, it -does- work (I think) but the look/feel is Motif(?) rather than native iOS.

Is there a solution short of diving into Xcode? I'm rather miffed that I spent all this $$ on LiveCode + iOS + Apple Developer and find that native text fields are MIA. :(

Perhaps there's a stack which contains the appropriate field (group?) and I can simply copy and paste it into my app?

Thanks,
Barry

rumplestiltskin

Re: iOS scrolling text field. How?

Post by rumplestiltskin » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:26 pm

In the "Mobile Scroller Example" stack, there's a group (which appears to be just four photos grouped together and named "Image Scroller"). It appears that all the magic is happening through the card script:

-- Create the scroller and store its id
iphoneControlCreate "scroller"
put the result into sScrollerId

-- The 'rect' is the region of the card it should cover
iphoneControlSet sScrollerId, "rect", the rect of group "Image Scroller"
-- The 'contentRect' is the region the scroller scrolls over
iphoneControlSet sScrollerId, "contentRect", (0, 0, 1600, 1200)
-- The 'visible' determines if the scroller is displayed
iphoneControlSet sScrollerId, "visible", "true"
-- The 'canBounce' determines whether the standard iOS 'bouncing' occurs
-- at extremities of scrolling
iphoneControlSet sScrollerId, "canBounce", "false"
-- The 'pagingEnabled' determines whether scrolling only happens in multiples
-- of the width/height
iphoneControlSet sScrollerId, "pagingEnabled", "false"
-- The 'canScrollToTop' determines whether touching the status bar scrolls
-- the scroller to the top
iphoneControlSet sScrollerId, "canScrollToTop", "true"

...and a bunch more stuff, as well.

The problem is that I can see nothing in any LiveCode documentation along the lines of "iPhoneControlCreate" or "iPhoneControlSet" nor do I see any user-created handlers so how is that command (function?) being handled? I'm looking for anything else in that stack that might provide the magic but I'm stumped.

Barry

rumplestiltskin

Post by rumplestiltskin » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:51 pm

A-ha! I just found the LiveCode notes where the experimental iOS native controls are mentioned (page 36 of LiveCodeNotes-4_6_0-iOS.pdf). Guess we'll see something in the actual Documentation window down the road. I'll have to play with this control layered over a text field and see how it goes.

Barry

rumplestiltskin

Post by rumplestiltskin » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:22 pm

Well, placed a scrolling text field onto the card, altered the script to refer to the field (and even made the field 5500 pixels tall). No success. I'll keep trying but this is something that really needs an official solution/workaround from RunRev.

The notes (PDF) on this topic are written by an alpha-geek for alpha-geeks and the scrolling example stack is bereft of any usable documentation.

What we need is a stack (intended for iOS) that shows how to scroll a field of text and good set of instructions (maybe comments in the script?).

Thanks for any advice, example stacks, etc. that anyone might provide.

Barry

Dixie
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Dixie » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:42 am

Barry...

I have attached an stack showing scrolling text. All the script handlers are in the card... I haven't had time to comment the scripts, but if you have any questions... well, just post them

be well

Dixie
Attachments
LCScroller.livecode.zip
(2.61 KiB) Downloaded 530 times

rumplestiltskin

Post by rumplestiltskin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:31 pm

Thank you for the example. I'll be coding this PM and I'll check it out then. I appreciate your guidance.

Barry

rumplestiltskin

Post by rumplestiltskin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:54 am

A-ha! I think I understand it now.

Dixie: Your stack was helpful. I also examined some examples posted by others (including what RunRev provides) but what was missing (not working in my stacks) I finally guessed at and probably just got lucky.

It appears that the code is what generates the scroller during runtime. The "group" named Scroller (or something like that in all the stacks I've examined) seems to be simply a field (or picture/pictures) that's been grouped - in the case of a simple scrolling text field, grouped to nothing but itself. Once I did that (and named it to match what the card script uses), the scrolling took place (in the simulator) exactly as expected.

I'm much happier now knowing a native scroller is available; that Motif-styled scrollbar of a standard scrolling field is an abomination on iOS.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Barry

interactbooks

Post by interactbooks » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:56 am

Dixie,

Thank you so much for the sample code and explanations. I was wondering if you knew why the scrolling of the field does not seem smooth like the true native scrolling field control on an iOS device. Are there any settings that can be applied to try to make the scroll operate more smoothly?

Thanks in advance,

Ezra

rumplestiltskin

Post by rumplestiltskin » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:25 am

I'm having a devil of a time understanding why my stack's scrollgroup starts out scrolled and can't be scrolled back to "0". I've got to believe I've set something wrong in the card script. I'm using Dixie's sample stack she was kind enough to post in this thread some time ago. I've attached the stack. Would someone who has the iOS kit mind looking at it and telling me where I screwed up?

Thanks in advance!

Barry
iAdlib.livecode.zip
(4.84 KiB) Downloaded 354 times

Dixie

Post by Dixie » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:42 am

rumplestiltskin...

I don't have time right now to comment the card script, but I have ammended your stack, it now scrolls to the top.

be well,

Dixie
Attachments
iAdlib fix.livecode.zip
(4.85 KiB) Downloaded 378 times

rumplestiltskin

Post by rumplestiltskin » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:10 am

Dixie,

Thanks very much for your assistance. I added some height to the stack to make it match the size of the iPad (although I'm not 100% I should be setting the rect of the stack to 1024x768). I then had to use a specific field rect (instead of taking the existing rect of the field) in order to get things to line up the way I wanted. I think I'll have to do that and not rely upon the rects as they exist in the stack as grouping the field results in a rect that is somewhat different than the rect of the field. I don't see why this should be; looks like a bug to me. (Why should a field that is grouped to nothing else result in a group that is anything other than the size of the field? - That's something I'll have to ask RunRev.)

Now I have to compare the script of the card that works (your "fix" stack) to the one I uploaded and see where I goofed up.

But it now works and I'm a happy camper. Thanks!

Barry

bn
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by bn » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:32 am

Barry,
and not rely upon the rects as they exist in the stack as grouping the field results in a rect that is somewhat different than the rect of the field
it is not a bug. A group has a default margin of 4. That means if you group a field the group will have 4 pixel added on each of the 4 sides.
If you look at the group in the property inspector and choose Text Formatting at the bottom you will see margins. Set that to 0 and the group will have the same size as the field it encloses. (provided you don't set the Showborder to true, that would add the borderwidth to the rect of the group)
Have a look at margins in the dictionary.

Kind regards

Bernd

rumplestiltskin

Post by rumplestiltskin » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:41 pm

Bernd,

Thanks for the heads-up regarding margins!

Barry

lars604

Post by lars604 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:33 am

Hi guys,

Super helpful example and I've been able to get it working on a stack with only 1 card; however, on a stack with multiple cards I can't get it to work after switching to another card.

I've attached an updated version of the LCScroller. If you run it you'll find the scroller on the first card works correctly, but when you switch to the second card and back, the scroller no longer works properly.

I'm trying to create an app with multiple cards and multiple scrolling text fields.

Any advice?

Many thanks,

Lars

ctflatt

Post by ctflatt » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:28 pm

Make sure you delete the scrollers you create each time you leave the card.

See the iOS release notes for deleting native controls.

Hope that helps.

Todd

Return to “iOS Deployment”