Disappearing controls on editable stack card

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

paulgabel

Disappearing controls on editable stack card

Post by paulgabel » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:53 pm

:?: I have a mainstack with 4 editable substacks. One of them has just 1 card with about a dozen controls on it. Twice in the past few weeks every single control on this card has just disappeared — the card is blank. I've checked every script that refers to this stack/card and can find nothing that could possibly cause this behavior. Any Ideas?

iMac Intel
Mac OS X 10.4.10
512 MB
Paul Gabel

Mark Smith

Re: Disappearing controls on editable stack card

Post by Mark Smith » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:17 am

Could it be that you have accidentally created a second blank card in the substack?

To rule this out, open the substack so that it is the frontmost window, and type "put the number of cds in this stack" into the message box.

Hope it's that simple :)

Best,

Mark

dalkin

Post by dalkin » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:41 am

If there is anything at all on the card that can be selected, try Object>Send To Back?

paulgabel

Post by paulgabel » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:12 am

Thanks for your replies. I checked to make sure there was only one card in the stack, and there was absolutely nothing left on the card to select. The only way I could get my controls back was to open a backup copy, clone the stack, save it under a new name, quit Rev, open the original stack file and the clone copy, then copy and paste the controls from the clone to the original stack. I hope this doesn't happen again. :(
Paul Gabel

kpeters

Post by kpeters » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:53 am

I have had similar things happen and it turned out to be that the controls somehow ended up way off the screen at very large or sometimes also negative coordinates.

So check in your application browser if they still exist and if they do, correct their tops and/or lefts in the object inspector.

HTH
Kai

paulgabel

Post by paulgabel » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:46 pm

Kai; thanks for your reply. However, I did check the card in the Application Browser, and it said there were 0 (zero) controls on the card. As far as I can tell, they just went "poof" and were gone. What's weird is that it happened twice and only on that single-card stack.
Paul Gabel

Lynn P.

Post by Lynn P. » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:39 pm

Ok. I can confirm that something is going on here. I just lost a field from an insurance database at work today, and I am NOT a happy camper. I back up every night and the backup is also affected. I'm going to have to retrieve a much older copy from another machine, go back to an earlier Rev version and see what happens. I'm not sure what's going on.
I did try and open it Rev. v2.7 but the damage was done.

I also checked hidden, out of window bounds, etc. Not there. It's not a complied app, so I may check it out with a text editor to see if info in that field can be retrieved.

Mac OS X 10.4.10
REV Studio v2.8.1 gm-2

Lynn P.

xApple

Post by xApple » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:00 am

Reading your comments I got the impression this could all be caused by the bug marielle describes in her recent post here:
http://forums.runrev.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=687

It's just a guess of course, but you should maybe read what she said.
She apparently is not a happy camper anymore either.. sad to see such good elements leave the ship..

Lynn P.

Post by Lynn P. » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:04 pm

Upon further investigation, it seems my lost field disapeared upon quiting Rev. (I don't choose close stack and remove from memory prior to quitting Rev... I just save the stack, then quit Rev.)
I see only that field disapear right before Rev quits.

I was hoping to salvage it's content by opening the stack in Word, but it's totally wiped. I was hoping it was just some reference to the window structure holding the content that was wiped or corrupted and the content would still be there but inaccessible, but alas... not to be.

I will have to alter my future back up strategy by creating a weeks worth rather than just backing up the same stack every day which is a good idea when dealing with databases anyway. Live and learn.

These are converted Hypercard stacks, hence using Rev cards and fields as the database. I was in the process of redoing them using mySQL. Guess I'll have to do that sooner than later. I just REALLY didn't need this headache right now and I'm not thrilled with Rev at the moment for it's reliabilty.

Lynn P.

paulgabel

Post by paulgabel » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:30 pm

Thanks xApple. I read all of Marielle's complaints, and I think my disappearing controls problem IS related to the problems she is talking about. I've fixed the problem (for now) as I described, so I can't go back and look for duplicate ID numbers. I could look on some of my backups, though. Maybe I'll do that.
Paul Gabel

paulgabel

It happened again!

Post by paulgabel » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:39 pm

This morning it happened again, but this time I may have a clue. When I deleted a card in one open stack, immediately all of the controls disappeared from another open stack (the same one that was affected in my original post). I closed everything without saving and then reopened, but this time I deleted the same card with the other stack closed. When I reopened it, all the controls were still there. It still seems like bizarre behavior to me.
Paul Gabel

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”