sending email with Transcript?

Bringing the internet highway into your project? Building FTP, HTTP, email, chat or other client solutions?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

moe
Livecode Opensource Backer

sending email with Transcript?

Post by moe » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:39 am

i have read all the documentation on this topic and tried numerous times to send myself an email with Transcript ... no luck. can someone please help me!

i want to email text that is saved in a field using Transcript

the documentation says to use this to send an email:

put fld "someText" into /
URL "ftp://user:pass@ftp.example.org/test"

can the username and password be blank?

is the server name "example.org" ?

what does "/test" mean?

moe

malte

Post by malte » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:00 am

Hi moe,

this is rather for ftp upload to a server, than for sending emails, so that syntax won't help you. Could you please tell us how you want the mail to be sent? With help of the users default eMail application (possible from within rev, but the user will see the app pen up and need to click send) or directly (possible with libraries that are freely available)

All the best,

Malte

moe

Post by moe » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:56 pm

hi Malte. thank you for your reply

i would like an email to be sent when the user selects a menuItem. the stack will know the 'file path' of the text field to send. the stack will also know the 'email address' to send to. So, i think the answer to your question is to send the email "directly"

ah, i see ... a 'provider' is not a 'server'. my thinking was that when i send an email, it is sent to a server ... the server of my email provider. thank you for setting me free from 'libURLftpUpload'

i had hoped that Transcript would allow me to send an email just as transparently as i now download text from a web site

i love to figure these Transcript challenges but this one has got me totally stumped

danke sehr Malte

moe

revdan

Two Alternatives

Post by revdan » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:51 pm

To send email from a Rev app, you have two choices.

You can use the revMail command (see the documentation) which will launch the user's mail application and enable him or her simply to click "Send" on an email generated by that command.

You can use libEMail and write Rev scripts to build and send the email directly out through the application.

The problem with the latter approach is that the person who used to support that library is no longer doing so and I don't know if anyone else has picked up that ball or intends to do so. Perhaps others can chime in on that subject.

Either way, sending email from a Rev app is a piece of cake.

marielle

Post by marielle » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:37 pm

If you are on mac osx, you can try to use mail on the shell.

Code: Select all

echo "the content of your email" | mail -s "the subject" somebody@somewhere
Type man mail in the terminal window for more info on mail syntax.

FrankR

Re: Two Alternatives

Post by FrankR » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:56 pm

revdan wrote:To send email from a Rev app, you have two choices.

You can use the revMail command (see the documentation) which will launch the user's mail application and enable him or her simply to click "Send" on an email generated by that command.

You can use libEMail and write Rev scripts to build and send the email directly out through the application.

The problem with the latter approach is that the person who used to support that library is no longer doing so and I don't know if anyone else has picked up that ball or intends to do so. Perhaps others can chime in on that subject.

Either way, sending email from a Rev app is a piece of cake.
Mmm, this is a big hole for me.

- If revMail simply fires up another local e-mail client, that doesn't work for many situations

- libEMail is 3rd party and apparently not supported

Rev needs a product-supported way to send e-mail. Many of my solutions e-mail out to pagers - a local client app requiring pressing a Send button won't do, and neither will an unsupported 3rd party library.

Isn't this a basic need for many of you?

BvG
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by BvG » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:02 pm

The libraries might be unsupported by RunRev, but they're certainly supported by their respective makeresses. People have used them in commercial apps.

I myself never needed to send a mail programmatically, but i have played with ShaoSean's library, and it's pretty simple, if you understand how mail works.

ShaoSean's site (if it doesn't work, try the ip directly)

Sarah Reichelt's site (thanks mark i couldn't remember)
Various teststacks and stuff:
http://bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers:
chat.freenode.net:6666 #livecode

moe

where is terminal window?

Post by moe » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:06 pm

hi Marielle

thank you for a “shell command solutionâ€

moe

does revMail have 'attachment' parameter

Post by moe » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:15 pm

hi Dan

i tried ‘revMail’ ... just as you said “sending email from a Rev app is a piece of cakeâ€

BvG

Post by BvG » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:16 pm

Yes shell's are different on every platform. The terminal is a way to enter shell commands, and is not a part of RunRev.
in Mac OS X you find the Terminal App in this folder:
Applications->Utilities

You need to enter "man mail" to get help on the usage of mail. scroll up and down with the arrow keys, quit out of it by pressing "q"

under windows go to the Start menu, then click "run..." and enter "cmd"

However I think that windows has no shell mailer, sorry.

marielle

Re: where is terminal window?

Post by marielle » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:39 pm

moe wrote:also, you have energized my curiosity ... i would like to read more info on ‘mail syntax’
Follow the link :arrow: . mailx man page, online version
moe wrote:where is ‘the terminal window’?
on your mac osx... which you don't have ;)

Note that you can always send the message parameters to an online php script, that will then trigger mail on the server. See mail @ php.net for more info. But you should be able to come up with a more elegant solution.

moe

ShaoSean’s site comments

Post by moe » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:05 am

hi BvG

oh your ShaoSean’s address works alright ... perhaps to good!

i am normally slow to form an opinion but the splash screen at this site looks like a mordacious, scathing drubbing of Revolution!

since there a RunRev logo prominently displayed is/was Shao Sean a member of the Revolution team? ... is this a disclosure about what is happening at Revolution?

moe

solution to transparent email with an attachment in Rev

Post by moe » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:36 am

my first attempts at using Smtp Example v2.5.2 look like this will work perfectly. i think Rev will use this library command nicely, so that i can have a 'transparent' 'direct' email sent without user intervention inside of a Rev appjavascript:emoticon(':D')

thank you all for your responses, this site has been very helpful ... and amazingly quick. if had i had known earlier i would not have struggled so long trying to solve this myself. as usual i have learned more than i set out to, perusing around the documentation ... but that is the fun of learning and using Revolution

BvG

Re: ShaoSean’s site comments

Post by BvG » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:50 am

moe wrote: since there a RunRev logo prominently displayed is/was Shao Sean a member of the Revolution team? ... is this a disclosure about what is happening at Revolution?
No she never was. That's just the webring, which some sites about runrev are part of.
(A webring is like a link list, but with some additional features)

revdan

Shao Sean's Rev Stance

Post by revdan » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:21 am

I deliberately didn't supply a link to Shao Sean's site because of that front-page diatribe and because she has clearly indicated that she will no longer support any of the Rev products. (I'm not even sure she's a she. Sorry if I'm wrong.)

The email libraries are now in the public domain if I read the site correctly, so someone could theoretically take them over and begin supporting them.

Return to “Internet”