IOS and FTP

Bringing the internet highway into your project? Building FTP, HTTP, email, chat or other client solutions?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

olive

IOS and FTP

Post by olive » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:52 pm

Hello,

I discovered livecode.

Do you know if it will be possible,
with an IOS application made with livecode,
send and receive files / data via FTP?

Thank you,

olivier

kevinmiller
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Re: IOS and FTP

Post by kevinmiller » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:39 pm

Thanks for your interest in LiveCode. It's not possible to use FTP in the current pre-release build, but support is planned. The next pre-release build will include support for downloading URLs in the background (load URL) and posting data (POST command) so you will be able to use those capabilities very shortly to transfer data. What is it you are trying to do?
Kevin Miller ~ kevin@livecode.com ~ http://www.livecode.com/
LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

olive

Post by olive » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:55 pm

kevinmiller wrote:Thanks for your interest in LiveCode. It's not possible to use FTP in the current pre-release build, but support is planned. The next pre-release build will include support for downloading URLs in the background (load URL) and posting data (POST command) so you will be able to use those capabilities very shortly to transfer data. What is it you are trying to do?
Thank you for your reply. I made an application with 4D. I'd like to do now an IOS/mobile application and synchronize data between the two. The most practical thing for me is to use FTP. Download and upload via URL that would require my desktop application includes a web server and web server of 4D is expensive. It would require that each of my clients bought a 4D Web server, it's too expensive, and it's more complicated for them to set up. FTP transfer is cheap and simple.

Another solution would be to use email, but should provide send and receive email in the background.

Thank you for your interest in my question ! :D

olivier

kevinmiller
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by kevinmiller » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:30 pm

That makes perfect sense. I've spoken to the developer working on the other URL stuff and he says that FTP support will work in the next pre-release build for iOS, due this week.

kevinmiller
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by kevinmiller » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:46 pm

Just to clarify that response - downloading via FTP is in the next build. We'll have uploading shortly but I can't say for sure that it will be in this week.

olive

Post by olive » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:22 pm

Wow, that's great!

For months and months I am looking for a development tool for mobile devices, which does not use javascript, and that allows me to synchronize my data via WiFi/3G!
4D chose a full web solution, and will not develop mobile client, Realbasic is not ready.

With Livecode, maybe I finally found the solution! :D

I develop software for professionals. The demonstrations of mobile livecode are games for now. Is it possible on IOS/"windows mobile" using fields as "list field", "datagrid", "table field", "text entry field", "slider" "button", and write / read local files to store the data?

If I take the "livecode IOS commercial" pack, with the "Windows 6.5 mobile" option, the future update for Windows 7 mobile is included?
The "developer program" can be purchased later?

Thank you very much,
olivier

kevinmiller
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by kevinmiller » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:34 pm

olive wrote:Wow, that's great!

For months and months I am looking for a development tool for mobile devices, which does not use javascript, and that allows me to synchronize my data via WiFi/3G!
4D chose a full web solution, and will not develop mobile client, Realbasic is not ready.

With Livecode, maybe I finally found the solution! :D

I develop software for professionals. The demonstrations of mobile livecode are games for now. Is it possible on IOS/"windows mobile" using fields as "list field", "datagrid", "table field", "text entry field", "slider" "button", and write / read local files to store the data?

If I take the "livecode IOS commercial" pack, with the "Windows 6.5 mobile" option, the future update for Windows 7 mobile is included?
The "developer program" can be purchased later?

Thank you very much,
olivier
There will be more samples shortly that demonstrate business applications for iOS. We have many developers using the iOS Deployment Pack for Business Apps and implementing a full feature set for this market is a top priority.

All the various field types you listed there should work on iOS, though there is no native themes for fields (yet).

We're closely evaluating Windows 7 but I'm not not in a position to make an announcement about it at this time.

The developer program can indeed be purchased later.

olive

Post by olive » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:38 am

super, thank you ! :-)

Return to “Internet”