Converting, when no HyperCard is available

Want to move your code and projects to LiveCode but don't know where to start?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, robinmiller

ReindlWolfgang

Converting, when no HyperCard is available

Post by ReindlWolfgang » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:18 pm

Hello,
I'm glad, I found runrev, so it might be possible to reactivate my HyperCard "database" on Leopard (and further on).

History: for about 20 years I have written a combination of two HC-stacks (sending Messages to each other and exchanging information from their fields) to keep track of a collection.
Started with HC 1.x and upgraded later to HC 2.1 - NO better version!
After changing to an iMac G5/Tiger I run HC 2.1 in Classic. I was able to enter new cards (AFAIR there were some 2800 cards in the Database), but it was not possible to change code.
On my actual Leopard it's not possible to run HC at all.

Now I am reading the TimeSaver Tutorial. It says, that some steps must be done in HC 2.2 (or better) previous to conversation.
So even when I'm lucky and it's possible to reactivate my old Mac OS 8.6 engine, my HC is outdated.

Your Expert-guess:
Will it be possible to do the tutorial without any working copy of HC?
Will it be possible to convert my two stacks without preflight in HC? (There are NO Externals at all!)
Will it be possible to convert after preflight on HC 2.1? But when I've done that, my runrev Trial will be off (the 8.6 is at my mother's house, some 130 km away).

Thanks for your help
Wolfgang

Klaus

Re: Converting, when no HyperCard is available

Post by Klaus » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:10 pm

Tach Wolfgang :-)

I am no HC exert, but the first thing you could try is to just open these stacks with Rev and see what happens.
Maybe you are lucky ;-)

Best

Klaus

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Converting, when no HyperCard is available

Post by Mark » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:17 pm

Hi Wolfgang,

First of all, just as Klaus says, give it a try. When you get stuck, you can ask questions here. It is always easier to find a solution to an actual problem than to give suggestions to avoid hypothetical problems.

If you're unable to open your HyperCard stacks in Revolution, you could always ask someone to convert your stacks to HC 2.4.1. My company Economy-x-Talk provides that kind of services, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could find someone who is willing to do this for free.

On a slightly different note, if you just want to get your data out of your stacks to use them in a new project, you might want to give [url=http://differsifier.economy-x-talk.com]DIFfersifier/url] a try.

Best regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

Return to “Converting to LiveCode”