Skills A Developer Must Have To Convert To RunRev

Want to move your code and projects to LiveCode but don't know where to start?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, robinmiller

wrunrev

Skills A Developer Must Have To Convert To RunRev

Post by wrunrev » Mon May 10, 2010 10:21 am

Hi,

RunRev platform looks very promising and I wanted to hire a developer in-house to work on a few projects to test out RunRev as a potential platform for on-going development.

What would be the desirable skills and platform experience that developer should have such that his transition and conversion to RunRev is easy?

Also, are there any good resources and training a developer needs to go through to be 'RunRevified'?

Thank you,
Nick

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Skills A Developer Must Have To Convert To RunRev

Post by FourthWorld » Mon May 10, 2010 3:13 pm

That's a good question. At this time there is no certification program, though the idea has been floated around in the community and I wouldn't be surprised to see one at some point.

In the meantime, if I were hiring someone for that sort of in-house work I'd want to see two things:

- Completed application: it should look good and run well on at least OS X and Windows, with extra bonus points given if it runs on Linux too (I'm a big fan of Ubuntu and included it with most distributions I make, so for my shop Linux wouldn't be optional).

- Source examples: Whether this is from their product or even just a utility or plugin they wrote, being able to review source is essential to see that their architecture and code style are sensible and clear. The code should commented well enough that its logic is clear to someone like yourself.

Here I've found that most of the work of application design involves defining the data structures used, so ideally good code examples will either define data structures in comments within the relevant handlers, or be accompanied by development notes which define them. Like the old saying goes, "Show me your data structures and I'll show you your algorithms".
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

wrunrev

Post by wrunrev » Mon May 10, 2010 4:43 pm

Hi Richard,

Thanks so much for posting a reply. Greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Nick

Curry

Post by Curry » Mon May 10, 2010 8:59 pm

Creativity and persistence, and hopefully experience with some type of scripting language. You can do almost anything with RunRev (a few exceptions) but it helps to first understand Rev's capabilities and then use them creatively to solve a task. To get someone started, have them take a few days to go through the RevTalk dictionary word by word and try out variations on the (usually one-liner) example scripts, play with them using a test stack and the message box. Don't rush that part, it forms the basis for future work. And look at a few examples available through RevOnline (find this in the Development menu in Revolution).
Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

LiveCode Development, Training & Consulting
http://livecodeconsulting.com/

WordLib: Conquer MS Word & OpenOffice
SpreadLib: "Excel-lent" spreadsheet import/export
http://livecodeaddons.com/

wrunrev

Post by wrunrev » Tue May 11, 2010 2:45 am

This is turning into a good format for a training program...

Thank you

Return to “Converting to LiveCode”