Used "Save As" to make a copy, but now confused by stack vs file names

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

jstewartathartford

Used "Save As" to make a copy, but now confused by stack vs file names

Post by jstewartathartford » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:21 am

Hi,
I have been a beginner at this game since the days of SuperCard, but now trying to create some simple apps and have run into a problem that I cannot find described (or solved) anywhere. Perhaps I should have worked through all beginning lessons, but hope someone can tell me which lesson has the answer or give it to me here.
I was working on a Livecode project, let's say it was called NAME1, and decided that I wanted to make a new project with only some of the cards in it, so I used the File menu and the Save As option and saved it under name NAME2. NAME1 still shows at the top of the cards in this new stack, but it has the reduced number of cards when I am done and I saved it, then loaded it later using NAME2. When reloaded it still has NAME1 at the top of each card and when I want to add an old card from NAME1 into my new NAME2 file, I cannot open both at the same time and get some message about about a conflict between files or stacks.
"A stack with the same name as the one you are trying to load is already open.
Before loading file NAME1
What do you want to do with stack NAME2,NAME1 " <== I am confused by this file naming convention with the comma
with cancel purge or save buttons.
I am using LiveCode Community 9 on a Windows 10 HP computer.'
Thanks for any help.
Jay

jmburnod
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Used "Save As" to make a copy, but now confused by stack vs file names

Post by jmburnod » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:06 am

Hi Jay,
Filename and stack name are two differents things.
In you case you have two files "NAME1.livecode" and "NAME2. livecode". Each of them probabily have one stack named "untitled 1.
In all cases it is recommanded to give a name for all objects.
Best regards
Jean-Marc
Last edited by jmburnod on Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://alternatic.ch

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:39 am

jmburnod wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:06 am
In you case you have two files "NAME1.livecode" and "NAME2. livecode". Each of them probabily have one stack named "untitled 1.
In all case it is recommanded to give a name for all objects.
To expand on that answer which is correct but could be a little confusing, the 'untitled 1' in and of itself doesn't matter, it could be any name.

The problem is it isn't changed between the 2 savings.

As Jean-Marc points out, the file name and stack name are 2 different names, and both need to be different from what your saving from. For example, using your names above, you have your first stack and say, you set it up like this:
stack name = myStack1
file name = NAME1.livecode
...and you want to save this as a file you can open later with the original stack open, you have to change both of these, so it would be something like:
stack name = myStack2
file name = NAME2.livecode

Some use the same name for both the stack and filename, but I remember reading earlier where this should be discouraged and the two names should be different. Unfortunately, I don't remember the 'why' :(

jacque

Post by jacque » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:07 pm

I don't know why stack and file names should be different either, mine are almost always the same except for the extension on the file name. Maybe you're thinking of stack names, which is the problem here.

In case the OP doesn't know, the stack name can be set in the srack's property inspector.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:54 pm

jacque wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:07 pm
I don't know why stack and file names should be different either, mine are almost always the same except for the extension on the file name. Maybe you're thinking of stack names, which is the problem here.
I'll see if i come across the reference again. I use the same stack name myself, most of the time.

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:56 pm

I invariably name the file the same as I name the stack. I like that because I never need to remember two names, and never had a good reason to have them different. Perhaps some sort of large project organization might warrant it.

Never had an issue; the two objects are only distant relatives.

Craig

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:02 pm

Well, I seem to think I read about it while researching stuff about Mc. Perhaps I am mis-remembering it as well.

jstewartathartford

Post by jstewartathartford » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:12 am

Thanks to everyone. I followed the various pieces of advice and seem to have things working now.
jay

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”