Recursion limit error messages

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

KimD

Recursion limit error messages

Post by KimD » Fri May 31, 2019 6:29 am

Hi

LC 9.0.4 & MacOS 10.11.6

Yesterday the IDE gave me an error message - The handler: revDeleteCellFields has reached the recursion limit of: 400000. Execution will be terminated to prevent hang.

Today the the IDE gave me an error message - The handler: HandleError has reached the recursion limit of: 400000. Execution will be terminated to prevent hang.

Which is pretty weird as, other than these two error messages, my app seems to be working fine. I'm working on it or testing it full-time, and not noticing any unexpected behaviour or hangs in either the IDE or Standalones.

What, if anything, should I be doing to address this?

Thanks in advance

Kim

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Recursion limit error messages

Post by dunbarx » Fri May 31, 2019 2:49 pm

You cannot duplicate the procedure that causes this?

Not that such a task is always easy or obvious, but try everything, again and again, and try to remember what you actually did when it appears. That is sometimes, for me, the hard part.

Craig

KimD

Re: Recursion limit error messages

Post by KimD » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:24 am

Thanks Craig

On both occasions I was working with the IDE, adding / modifying script. Any actions that I took with the app where coincidental to this, and I don't remember what they were.

I'll do more testing this week, but it's a big app and "crashing once a day" is going to be hard to find.

I'm wondering whether this might be related to the no-message crash to desktop's that I was experiencing on Windows a few weeks ago. Maybe MacOS is trapping an error message where Windows didn't. The no-message Windows crashes seemed to have been related to re-drawing data grids. I had managed to get these down from being common (could reproduce after 2 or 3 attempts) to being very rare (might be able reproduce after 50 attempts).

Regards

Kim

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”