Levure error when including git

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Greg O.

Levure error when including git

Post by Greg O. » Sat May 18, 2019 5:05 pm

While creating an app with the Levure framework, and including git (GitHubDesktop) I receive the error:
An error occurred while starting Levure zip archive download [ the directory name is invalid ]
I am new to the Levure framework, thus my troubleshooting skills with it are non-existant. When testing without git included the creation works as planned. I have tried moving the GitHubDesktop app to different folders, and difeerent drives with no effect. Should I be using a different approach to including Git?

Thank you

Mikey
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Levure error when including git

Post by Mikey » Sun May 19, 2019 6:12 pm

I'm confused by what you mean, so a screenshot might help.
Do you mean including .git? How did you "include" it? Do you mean in the standalone builder?
No, you don't include the .git folder when you do a build.

Greg O.

Post by Greg O. » Sun May 19, 2019 9:43 pm

Sorry for the confusion. When I am creating a new application with the Levure framework and the initial dialog appears, I have the application name entered, and the Use Git box checked as well as the path to the GitHubDesktop in the text box,
Levure create.png

after I click the “Create Levure Application” button the Levure Framework starts up, and then select the location to build the app, I get these two windows, and the process stops.
levure git.png
levure error.png
levure error.png (7.94 KiB) Viewed 4047 times
I hope this is of some help.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Sun May 19, 2019 11:03 pm

The git executable is not the Github desktop app. The Github desktop is just a GUI for the git CLI (command-line interface). Change the field to blank and try again.

There are many git gui's, so don't be afraid to try one of the others once you get your project started.

Greg O.

Post by Greg O. » Mon May 20, 2019 12:31 am

Well color me embarrassed. I did install actual git, and once I rebooted it worked wonderfully. Thank you for lifting my ignorance.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Mon May 20, 2019 1:23 am

Oh please. Keep asking questions and soon you will be helping the next person who is trying to figure out how to use Levure.
This isn't beginner-level stuff, and it's only a recent development.
Even Git, which has been around for a decade, is only now starting to get tools written to help make it easier to use (and even those tools are a bit limited and crude).

Greg O.

Post by Greg O. » Mon May 20, 2019 2:48 am

Thank you again. I had no idea what I was doing wrong.

Return to “Talking LiveCode”