LC does not use Dictionary and DB - solved

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

pderks

LC does not use Dictionary and DB - solved

Post by pderks » Thu May 16, 2019 11:12 pm

Hi,

I'm working on a Mac Pro Mid 2012 under macOS Sierra (10.12.6) and until yesterday with LiveCode Community 9.0.2, since today with a freshly downloaded and installed LC Community 9.0.4.

I don't get running with either LC the dictionary or any stack related to databases (like »SQKite Sampler«, »SQLite browser and administer«, »Book Library» found at LiveCode Share).

For control, I also installed a fresh LC Community 9.0.4 on another HD with macOS High Sierra (10.13.6). Again, I don't get working the dictionary or any stack related to a mentioned database.

I am extremly clueless and and grateful for any hint.

Peter
Last edited by pderks on Mon May 20, 2019 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Klaus

Re: LC does not use Dictionary and DB

Post by Klaus » Fri May 17, 2019 12:52 pm

Hi all,

before you ask, this is what Peter and me have already tested and/or checked:
1. The installation is definitively complete, we compared the contents of the APP package, especially the "Externals" and "Database Driver" folders, everything is in place.
We compared his to my working app package.

2. We used the message box to check the loaded externals:
put the externals of stack "Home"
Everything appeared as exspected, all externals, e.g. the database driver, "seem" to be loaded.

3. Peter tried REVSPEAK and it works for him, so not all externals are NOT loaded.

4. We checked that the folder where he installed LC has correct permissions.
-> "Read and Write" as neccessary.

Peter, did you try the browser widget?

I'm completely clueless, any hints highly appreciated. :(

Best

Klaus

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri May 17, 2019 1:14 pm

Well, I don't have a mac os available current enough to run the latest IDE, so these are just questions.
Klaus wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:52 pm
4. We checked that the folder where he installed LC has correct permissions.
-> "Read and Write" as neccessary.
I take it that the IDE isn't installed into the applications folder as it would be by default? Have you tried doing that either on the first or second attempt?
Klaus wrote:
2. We used the message box to check the loaded externals:
put the externals of stack "Home"
Thank you Klaus, I hadn't acquired that command yet, but it is interesting. Part of the IDE at least knows the paths.
Klaus wrote:
1. The installation is definitively complete, we compared the contents of the APP package, especially the "Externals" and "Database Driver" folders, everything is in place.
We compared his to my working app package.
Your package, is it running on the exact same setup as his? (i.e. os version, which Lc IDEs you have vs. what he has, etc.)

If yours is working and his is not on the same OS, then knowing how long you've been in Lc land I suspect a different version is making yours work, and since he doesn't have it installed, his fails.

It certainly sounds 'buggish', but it is possible for something like this to slip through.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri May 17, 2019 1:27 pm

OK, Peter is running macOS 10.13.6, me 10.14.5
He uses the Community version, freshly installed!, me the INDY version of LC 9.04.
The contents of the APP packages are identical.

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri May 17, 2019 2:08 pm

bogs wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:14 pm
Your package, is it running on the exact same setup as his? (i.e. os version, which Lc IDEs you have vs. what he has, etc.)
Klaus wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:27 pm
OK, Peter is running macOS 10.13.6, me 10.14.5
So, his is a couple of minor revisions behind yours. I don't know how hard it would be for him to bring his up to level with yours, that might be the first thing I'd try.
He uses the Community version, freshly installed!, me the INDY version of LC 9.04.
Erm, that wasn't exactly what I had in mind, though there could be some unseen or not taken into account difference between community and indy, I meant that you have been using Lc a long time, and have probably installed many versions (I have 9 versions of Lc installed myself, 2.2, 3, 6.0/.5/.7, 7.0.4/.1.4, and 8.0/.12).

If he has only one version installed, then it is possible your version has the same issue, but is undetected because you have older versions, or installed older versions that don't have this issue. Kind of like that "something is off, delete preferences!" thing (I am using this as an example, I am *not* saying it is a pref file thing :wink: ).

If Peter has the versions you have installed, then I am out of ideas as well other than having his system version match yours.

*Edit - I don't know if Mac supports readelf or not, but on linux you can also type in something like

Code: Select all

readelf -a ./ProgramName
which can often times help in finding an issue.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri May 17, 2019 2:23 pm

I always use the latest version and only have version 5.02 additionally installed for one customer.

And he already deleted the prefs a couple of times, no dice...
Whatever, accessing any SQLite db should work right out of the box in the IDE, but he gets the dialog:
Unable to connect to the database:
revdberr, invalid database type

when using one of the numerous SQLite example stacks even the ones from the mothership!
They work of course here, very funky!? :(

Same when connecting to the online example MySQL database from LC
-> incorrect database type (WTF?)
That one crashed LC here, but maybe the db was currently offline or whatever...

Meanwhile on macOS -> Sorry, no man page names contain the string "readelf".
What should that do btw?

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri May 17, 2019 2:46 pm

Klaus wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:23 pm
Meanwhile on macOS -> Sorry, no man page names contain the string "readelf".
What should that do btw?
I didn't think Mac had readelf, but was thinking it probably has something like it.
readelf wrote: readelf option[...] elffiles [Options: -a, --all -A, --arch-specific -d, --dynamic -D, --use-dynamic -e, --headers -h, --file-header -H, --help -I, --histogram -l, --program-headers, --segments -n, --notes -r, --relocs -s, --symbols, --syms -S, --section-headers, --sections -u, --unwind -v, --version -V, --version-info -w[option] , --debug-dump[=option] -W, --wide -x num, --hex-dump=num]

Display information about one or more ELF (Executable and Linking Format) object files. At least one option is required to specify the information to be displayed for each file. readelf does not currently work on archive files or 64-bit ELF files.
It is very similar to objDump, but unless you or Peter play with assembly a lot, I wouldn't bother looking for that one.

Even if Peter could use it, I forgot it doesn't work with 64 bit files, which may (or may not) be a problem, since I'm not sure if Lc's IDE is truly 64 bit yet.
Klaus wrote:
I always use the latest version...
Yes, and you had (before this version) the last latest version, and the last latest prior to that, and so on and so forth. I am assuming one (or more) of those versions set you up where you didn't experience this issue in this version.

Testing that theory isn't overly hard (but is kind of time consuming). Download the last 3 stable versions, go to the one immediately prior to this one, install it, if everything works, shut down and test in this problem version, rinse repeat until the current version works.
Klaus wrote:
And he already deleted the prefs a couple of times, no dice...
As I said, I didn't think this was a prefs file issue, just that *like* a prefs file issue, previous versions of the IDE might be influencing whether it works or not by having set certain things on the OS level, like paths and such, so yours works and his does not because of this.

If Peter hasn't used his 'trial' yet, which I know they reset at some point, he might 'trial' the indy version, and see if that works. If it does, that would say there may be a difference between the two versions as well.

Frankly, though, unless there is some daunting need to use the latest bleeding edge version, I'd still say go back to a version that is known working (or believed to be so).
Klaus wrote:
Whatever, accessing any SQLite db should work right out of the box in the IDE, but he gets the dialog:
Unable to connect to the database:
revdberr, invalid database type
when using one of the numerous SQLite example stacks even the ones from the mothership!
I completely agree, but it requires tracking down. Best way I know to do this is to setup identical boxes (as much as possible), easiest way would be testing in a vm. I don't know which ones to recommend for Mac, but I'm sure there is one where you can setup virgin OSX machines on a mac, since you already have the discs or download or what not to do the install.
They work of course here, very funky!?
Yup, as I said, sounds 'buggish' to me. I'd certainly report it if it hasn't been already.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri May 17, 2019 3:08 pm

I think it is time that Peter chimes in! :-)

It is not that Peter is sitting in front of or beside me, he is located some hundred KM away from me.

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri May 17, 2019 3:37 pm

Klaus wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:08 pm
It is not that Peter is sitting in front of or beside me, he is located some hundred KM away from me.
Dang, and here I thought he was your room mate or something :P

Don't worry though, I'll just swing by and pick you up and we can do an emergency intervention or something like that...

pderks

Re: LC does not use Dictionary and DB - solved

Post by pderks » Mon May 20, 2019 12:45 am

Hi bogs,
Hi Klaus, you always cited me correctly, thank you,

I'm back at home now and I thank you both for your some-tips-discussion.

1) I installed LiveCode Community 9.0, 9.0.1, 9.0.2, 9.0.3, 9.0.4 one after another (folderless) into Mac's Application Folder.

2) I started each one and got really its dictionary. The stack »SQLite DemoSampler 0.9.10.rev« responded too.

3) I installed LiveCode 9.0.4 after my rules into its own folder into my Non-Apple-Application folder on the startup disk.

4) Even my preferred LiveCode 9.0.4 installation on a separated HD now links to Dictionary and DB.

5) I removed and purged the LC_Installations of #1.

Conclusion: LiveCode uses obviously previous installations or hints to them.
Now the Quality Control Center should take care of it.

PS: Is it true, bog, that you would have liked to play my room maid? :P

Peter
Attachments
image.png
image.png (358 Bytes) Viewed 6760 times

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Mon May 20, 2019 9:35 am

Hi Peter,

very glad you could solve that mistery, but this is really very strange!
What is the bug number?

Best

Klaus

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon May 20, 2019 11:51 am

pderks wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:45 am
1) I installed LiveCode Community 9.0, 9.0.1, 9.0.2, 9.0.3, 9.0.4 one after another (folderless) into Mac's Application Folder.
Let me echo Klaus's congratulations, but of course now we don't know exactly which version that connection was lost in if I understand you correctly.

The idea was to install them one at a time, then start with a fresh OS after each one that worked until you find the one that does not.

However, you are right that this should be enough to start the team investigating it, hopefully they have a machine they can fast image to make it a little less tedious.
Klaus wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:35 am
this is really very strange!
Not really, I imagine when the home team does an installation, they are doing much the same as you or I do, using a system where a previous installation was in place. This is the kind of a bug that
* isn't thought of very often because of nature of the way it happens, and
* is tough to catch unless one of your practices is to start a fresh OS image each and every testing cycle, which almost no one does.
If the home team *is* starting with a fresh image each and every install test, kudos to them, they are really going all out :D

Peter, I again echo Klaus in suggestion filing a bug report, if you have not already. Something like this could be extremely detrimental to adoption of the language by newer folk who, like yourself, didn't have a previous version installed to correct the connection as it were.
pderks wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:45 am
PS: Is it true, bog, that you would have liked to play my room maid? :P
Sure, I can do that, I've cleaned up after MUCH worse messes than this!

Make sure you read my contract though, which is UN-negotiable and says among other things that I must have a new Lamborghini Diablo every 3 weeks and 10^2 billion delivered each spring in a Brinks truck made of platinum pulled by sixty white stallions...

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Tue May 21, 2019 4:58 pm

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue May 21, 2019 8:02 pm

Klaus Major 2019-05-21 17:58:01 BST wrote: His final solution after some hints from forum user Bogs:
...is very strange! 8-)
There, fixed that for you :wink:

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Tue May 21, 2019 8:16 pm

Honi soit, qui mal y pense! :D

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”