Allow adding SVG icons to LC Navigation Data And a search feature

Something you want to see in a LiveCode product? Want a new forum set up for a specific topic? Talk about it here.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, robinmiller, kevinmiller

ValiantCuriosity

Allow adding SVG icons to LC Navigation Data And a search feature

Post by ValiantCuriosity » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:18 am

Please consider adding the following options to LC Header Bar and Navigation Bar icon area:
1. Ability to search the icons that are in the popup folder. ie. Type in 'home' and all icons with home are shown. Most IDEs have this ability now.

2. Ability to add icons to the icon selections. For example, lets say that I'd like to add an icon that would represent something from font Awesome's library. Maybe a Book or an icon that I've created myself.

OH, and while your are at it, please make the icon background opaque or give the users a preference for opaque. It is hard to view icons when the background is transparent.

Thank you for taking the time to read these requests.

-Rachel
May I never be cured of my curiosity! :D

bogs

Re: Allow adding SVG icons to LC Navigation Data And a search feature

Post by bogs » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:53 am

ValiantCuriosity wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:18 am
2. Ability to add icons to the icon selections. For example, lets say that I'd like to add an icon that would represent something from font Awesome's library. Maybe a Book or an icon that I've created myself.
You can already add icons by creating a stack, importing the images to it, and then dropping it in the icon library folder, even name the new library.
Selection_002.png
library folder on 'nix...
Selection_002.png (9.42 KiB) Viewed 525 times
1. Ability to search the icons that are in the popup folder. ie. Type in 'home' and all icons with home are shown. Most IDEs have this ability now.
I'd be curious to see what you mean by this. Screen shot?

ValiantCuriosity

Post by ValiantCuriosity » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:56 pm

I'd be curious to see what you mean by this. Screen shot?
@Bogs,
Like this:
LCicons.jpg
Not sure what you mean about the icon folder. I'll try to see if I can nose around and find it.

Smiles,
-Rachel
May I never be cured of my curiosity! :D

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:02 pm

There are already a lot of bug reports concerning this really-hard-to-use iconpicker a.k.a. GUI nightmare: https://quality.livecode.com/buglist.cg ... t_id=89326

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:53 pm

@bogs: the image library is a different thing from the SVG icon picker, which you'll only see in later versions of LC. It's attached to the property inspector for the SVG widget.

@ValiantCuriosity: you should have seen it before they decreased the transparency. :) And yeah, it's really hard to use. So you should click on User Samples in the LC tool bar and do a search for "SVG". At the bottom of the results are three you might be interested in:

SVG Icon Family Maker
SVG Icon Picker
SVG Icon Tool

You can create groups of SVGs in "families" and then assign those families to the IDE so that you can choose from those instead of the default family set the IDE uses.

You can also use the File menu in the IDE to import an SVG from disk ("New referenced control->Image file") and it will be transformed into an image that you can use as a button icon, or any other place you want a scalable vector image.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:15 pm

jacque wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:53 pm
@bogs: the image library is a different thing from the SVG icon picker, which you'll only see in later versions of LC. It's attached to the property inspector for the SVG widget.
OHHHHHHHHHHH!
I am soooooooo sorry Rachel, I completely missed the 'svg' part, and only saw 'icons', so I thought we were talking about the regular icon library :oops: My bad!

Return to “Feature Requests”