Rejected App due to HealthKit (HealthKit is not referenced)

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

simon.schvartzman

Re: Rejected App due to HealthKit (HealthKit is not referenced)

Post by simon.schvartzman » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:22 pm

I wonder if it isn't the case for LC to provide some kind of tool to help dealing with this issues. Of course this is only valid until the definite solution is added to the IDE itself.

It seems something like a "plist editor" would be very useful.

Does it make sense?
Simon

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:05 pm

Mac OS X already has a plist editor we can use if that's preferable to a text editor.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

simon.schvartzman

Post by simon.schvartzman » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:44 pm

Thanks Jacque. I guess I wasn't clear enough my suggestion was about a kind of "editor" that would handle (at once) all the steps involved in the process described by Panos
- Open the existing plist file (of the app you just built) with a text editor
- Delete the following part:

<key>NSHealthShareUsageDescription</key>
<string>This application requires access to read the user's health data</string>
<key>NSHealthUpdateUsageDescription</key>
<string>This application requires access to update the user's health data</string>

- Save the Info.plist file
- Open the standalone application settings, go to Copy Files section and add the Info.plist file you just saved.
- Save as standalone. The new standalone should be OK. You can verify it by checking the new Info.plist file
But I understand it may be too much to ask for...
Simon

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:03 pm

Well, the good news is that the fix has already been merged into the next release. So it's moot until next time. :-)
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

teacherguy

Post by teacherguy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:47 pm

I just had an app updated held up by this as well. Not sure why it is an issue now when an update from just a few days ago was accepted. Will try the workaround Panos mentioned above.

teacherguy

Post by teacherguy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:40 pm

OK, when I opened the plist in Xcode I noticed the plist was requiring *many* features that my app does not use: Access to contact, reminders, photos, camera, location, and more. So I deleted all of these. Well, that did not work. I got an email alter from Apple about "Missing purpose string" that justifies why my app needs to access the photo library (which it doesn't, but anyway...) so I resubmitted a version with only the Healthkit lines deleted, and that appears to have worked as per normal.

But Panos...in addition to the bug you entered regarding Healthkit, are you also addressing all of the features that seemed to be included in the plist even when our apps do not require them?

Thanks

tcbretl

Post by tcbretl » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:14 pm

The instructions for modifying the plist worked fine for me. On the first try I forgot to change the build number, but on the second try my app was accepted. Thanks to all who provided the fix. :)

teacherguy

Post by teacherguy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:34 pm

First of two apps just passed, thanks Panos.

Jim Mac

Post by Jim Mac » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:44 pm

Just loaded 9.0.3 RC 2.
Definitely fixed the PlugIn storm issue I was seeing.
Was hoping it'd include the HealthKit pList fix so I wouldn't have to manually maintain the pList for my app but no luck.

Any idea when this fix will be in?

Until then, I'll try to remember to update build numbers in the fixed pList before submitting....
.... for some reason I ALWAYS forget to do that and get a nice... "You've already loaded this build you idiot" from Apple

teacherguy

Post by teacherguy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:02 pm

9.0.3 is released and it does fix. Though...still wondering why the plist still shows many features in use that my app does not use (camera, location, photo library etc.) but it least it does not generate an error when submitting.

Jim Mac

Post by Jim Mac » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:53 am

I just got rejected with 9.0.3 and the HealthKit issue.
Doesn't seem to be fixed anymore!

Will manually edit the pList to fix this as I had to before and hope it works.
This is VERY aggravating but.... since I have to edit the pList to put the "NSLocationAlwaysUsageDescription" notification IN, having to take the HealthKit stuff OUT doeasn't afect my workflow that much.....

I am concerned taking it out is going to trigger a rejection because the notification isn;t there.... we will see.

Perhaps we need a lesson/tutorial on the Livecode site on "How to fix the pList file when you get rejected...."

ValiantCuriosity

Post by ValiantCuriosity » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:12 am

Hi there,

I know that i'm in the minority about this, but I still wish that we could just import the .xproj created with LC into Xcode. Personally, I like having the final control of an app within Xcode. (Checking version numbers, compiling, and uploading to the store, etc.) Xcode's IDE takes little getting used to, but it isn't all that difficult to use for the basics. I've never had an app rejected. The thought of that turns my blood a bit cold. It makes me a little cowardly about moving over to LC. Then again, my mobile apps are fairly simple things so maybe there isn't any worry. It sounds like your app is much more advanced than mine are.

Regardless, it seems like there are a few hiccups in the compilation process to get the apps successfully uploaded to Apple.

Guess I can understand how difficult it must be for LC creators to deal with all the underlying technologies involved. Just dealing with Cordova, Html5, Css, Javascript, Jquery, JqueryMobile, and a myriad of other plugins... Drives me crazy. Can't imagine what LC gurus go through in order to provide a program as powerful as LC.

I will be following your progress. Good luck.
-Rachel
May I never be cured of my curiosity! :D

teacherguy

Post by teacherguy » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:39 pm

I am now getting rejections from Apple over the NSLocationAlwaysUsageDescription. My app does not use location services at all. I'm now at a standstill.

Jim Mac

Post by Jim Mac » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:56 am

Yep. That's happening.
The answer is to follow the instructions in viewtopic.php?f=49&t=30947&hilit=NSLoca ... escription

Basically ADD the NSLocationAlwaysUsageDescription to the pList while you're taking the HealthKit stuff out.

teacherguy

Post by teacherguy » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:50 pm

Thanks Jim, did that. My apps are in review this morning as I type this. Hopefully no incident, but it still concerns me that I had to tell them I'm using location services when my apps do not.

Update: Approved

Return to “iOS Deployment”