Cross-platform stack files

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bogs

Re: Cross-platform stack files

Post by bogs » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:02 pm

What Jacque said all the way, it really is nothing to feel bad about. You wouldn't believe the number of blind alleys customers led me down when I was doing tech support, all of which start off innocently enough, and I can't think of any other profession where your dealing with someone else where it doesn't happen either.

People are funny that way :D
I must contain my anger and frustration...
I always thought that was unhealthy physically and mentally, so I always suggest getting either a really soft heavy bag or one of those punch-able weighted balloon figures, and let your anger and frustration go in the way nature intended. If you let it go long enough, it will do wonders for your sleep as well :wink:

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:48 pm

so I always suggest getting either a really soft heavy bag or one of those punch-able weighted balloon figures, and let your anger and frustration go in the way nature intended
I just holler at my husband. He knows now when to get out of the way. :)
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:04 pm

jacque wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:48 pm
so I always suggest getting either a really soft heavy bag or one of those punch-able weighted balloon figures, and let your anger and frustration go in the way nature intended
I just holler at my husband. He knows now when to get out of the way. :)
I knew I was missing a suitable stand in for heavy bags, husbands are a perfectly fine substitution! Just ask my wife... :twisted:

jmk_phd

Post by jmk_phd » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:33 am

Thanks all for your support and suggestions for stress reduction.

As a psychologist, I taught university-based stress-management courses for nearly 20 years, so the squeeze-bag and hollering at one's spouse alternatives are very familiar, albeit mostly ineffective.

My own solution in this case has been to focus my attention upon writing a LC app that would enable the problem client to anonymize the data in a stack file without corrupting the original stack via a text editor.

I don't expect that a reliance upon coding skills will work for everyone, but as programmers I suspect that our unique talent is to focus upon problem-solving at a very fundamental and logical level. Although real-life problems can neither be reduced nor resolved to coding routines, our focus upon programming challenges may at least distract from stressors and center us in a space in which we can exercise control and calm our frustrations/anxieties.

Best,

jeff k

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:40 am

Well reasoned and thought out, and I am very happy to hear you have a method in place rather than holding it in...

...I'll be waiting over here with the heavy bag if you change your mind though, saying the oath and the mans prayer... :twisted:

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”