Search and Scrolling List field

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

MechWithoutTech

Search and Scrolling List field

Post by MechWithoutTech » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:18 am

Right so in the stock app I'm making, I'm trying to make a search bar that, when certain keywords are into the search field and the search button is pressed, it will store the keyword into a variable before substituting it into a search API that will return a .csv file that contains a list of companies and certain details of them and put that into a scrolling list field, with each company and their details returned as individual options. When one of these options are pressed it should substitute the first item of each choice (the company's stock symbol). However, when I enter something a keyword of a company I know exists(in this case its symbol) then it returns nothing into the scrolling list field. Even entering in a single letter, or the company's exact name won't do anything when I try to use the variable of the text of the search field. However when entering a keyword directly into the API through the script instead of using a variable, it returns the .csv file with each line as a choice. I'm pretty sure it's not the API's fault but something to do with language. Could you please tell me whats wrong with it.

My script for the search button where searchField is where the user enters the keyword and choiceField is the scrolling list field.:
global theKeyword
global x

on mouseUp
put the text of field "searchField" into theKeyword

put url(this is where the api would go but forum won't let me put it here.) into x
delete line 1 of x
delete the last char of x
put x into field "choiceField"
end mouseUp

The other problem is I don't know how to select the first item of the selected choice in the scrolling list field. I want to be able to select the first item of whatever option I choose and substitute it into a function. But I get a compilation error at the line where I use 'clickLine' What's wrong with it?

Code for scrolling list field:

on mouseUp
local y
local z
put clickLine of field "choiceField" into z
put item 1 of z into y
call getStock(y) . (function declared in stack so I should be able to call it)
end mouseUp

Klaus

Re: Search and Scrolling List field

Post by Klaus » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:20 pm

Hi MechWithoutTech,

welcome to the forum!
Due to problems with spamming here, you need to have at least 10 postings before you can post links etc.

Do this:

Code: Select all

on mouseUp
  local y
  local z
  ## This is the list field, so we can us ...OF ME
  put the selectedtext OF ME into z

## clickline is a FUNCTION, please read up "clickline" in the dictionary!
  put item 1 of z into y
  ## call getStock(y)
  ## Not sure if CALL is the correct command here, since this is a function I would use this syntax.  
  ## From the dictionary about CALL -> Executes the specified HANDLER in any object's script.
  put getStocky(y) into dummy
end mouseUp
Hint:
Unless you selected "Variable checking", there is no need to declare local (to the handler) variables.

Best

Klaus

P.S.
Little personal note: A little "Hello" or something will not hurt for the first posting!

MechWithoutTech

Post by MechWithoutTech » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:07 pm

Thank you so much Klaus, and sorry that I missed it in my original post, hello forums :). The code worked like a charm when I tested it with a sample keyword.
That just leaves the search problem which I still have no idea how to fix. What would you(or any experienced coders reading this) suggest I do to fix that problem?

Cheers,
MechWithoutTech

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:09 pm

Hello MechWithoutTech,
Looks like you might be new to Lc so I thought this line of Klaus's help ~
Klaus wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:20 pm
Hint:
Unless you selected "Variable checking", there is no need to declare local (to the handler) variables.
~ could use a bit more depth as it were.

When writing scripts, there are more than one place where you might declare a variable, and local variables can be 'script' local or local to the handler.

A script local variable would be written outside of the handlers, and would then be required to have the 'local' keyword pre variable, like so -

// script local variable...
local tNum, tX

on mouseDown
   put 3 into tNum
end mouseDown

on mouseUp
   put tNum into tX
end mouseUp

Variables used this way remain filled with the data you put into them while other handlers (that may need access to that data) run. in the above example, on the mouseDown we put data into tNum, and then move that data to tX in the mouseUp.

Inside of handlers, where the variable will only be used during the time the handler will run, no such declaration is needed -

on mouseDown
   put 3 into tNum
end mouseDown

on mouseUp
   put tNum into tX
end mouseUp

In this version of the code, 3 is put into tNum in the mouseDown event, but in the mouseUp event tNum will be 0, because it is handler local.

I hope this helps, it confused me a lot when I started looking at this language. This lesson may also be of some guidance.

AxWald

Post by AxWald » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:00 pm

Hi,
MechWithoutTech wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:18 am
put clickLine of field "choiceField" into z
It's a function - "the clickline" or "clickline()". It should result in something like "line 4 of field 5" ...
MechWithoutTech wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:18 am
put item 1 of z into y
Since you haven't defined another Itemdelimiter, it's comma, and you'll get "line 4 of field 5" in y.

put word 2 of z into y
or

set itemdel to space
   put item 2 of z into y
would work better.

Your user may have clicked somewhere meanwhile, resulting in a corrupted ClickLine. So I'd make sure that field "choiceField" has its "listBehavior" set (and "multipleHilite" NOT set), and work with "the hilitedLine" (it returns a line number only):

put the hilitedLine of field "choiceField" into y
This way you save the use of z, additionally ;-)

Have fun!
All code published by me here was created with Community Editions of LC (thus is GPLv3).
If you use it in closed source projects, or for the Apple AppStore, or with XCode
you'll violate some license terms - read your relevant EULAs & Licenses!

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”