How to communicate across devices? Use a database?

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

neolson

How to communicate across devices? Use a database?

Post by neolson » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:51 pm

I'm thinking about how to make a survey-like app where users could answer a question and then everyone could see how many people gave which answers.

First, anyone know of a Livecode app like this that already exists that I could modify?

One solution would be to create a database somewhere online that the apps would access, storing user id, question, and answer.

(1) I wonder if there are any ways to accomplish something like this that would be simpler than using SQL? Maybe something like an automatically-cloud-synced Livecode data table object, where you'd just create a table in your stack, declare that it should be sync'ed, and then every device's changes to the table would show up on your device too?

(2) Google shows lots of free online database hosts: freehostia, freemysqlhosting, db4free, etc. Does anyone have experience with any of these, know of any pitfalls with using a free service, or have a particular free database hosting service you'd recommend?

Thanks!

Klaus

Re: How to communicate across devices? Use a database?

Post by Klaus » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:06 pm

Hi neolson,

welcome to the forum!
neolson wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:51 pm
First, anyone know of a Livecode app like this that already exists that I could modify?
Not that I knew.
neolson wrote:
(1) I wonder if there are any ways to accomplish something like this that would be simpler than using SQL? Maybe something like an automatically-cloud-synced Livecode data table object, where you'd just create a table in your stack, declare that it should be sync'ed, and then every device's changes to the table would show up on your device too?
Yes, maybe, unfortunately there is no such beast in Livecode.
But feel free to create one! 8)
neolson wrote:
(2) Google shows lots of free online database hosts: freehostia, freemysqlhosting, db4free, etc. Does anyone have experience with any of these, know of any pitfalls with using a free service, or have a particular free database hosting service you'd recommend?
No sorry, never used one of htese, but the problem is, if they stop their service, you are erm... licked and you cannot complain anywhere! :D

Best

Klaus

PBH
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by PBH » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:11 am

Not sure if it’s what you are looking for, but https://livecloud.io sounds like it could fit this type of app and it has the advantage that it is built for LiveCode.

Paul

ghettocottage
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by ghettocottage » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:24 am

Not sure if it’s what you are looking for, but https://livecloud.io sounds like it could fit this type of app and it has the advantage that it is built for LiveCode.
That looks very interesting; however, I would be hesitant to spend much time developing against it until they come out with their fees.
After release, users can enroll in LiveCloud’s inexpensive subscription service to use cloud-access database services.
Inexpensive can mean different things to different people... $5.00 a month would be lovely, but they might mean $40/month.

neolson

Post by neolson » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:16 am

LiveCloud sounds like a great solution. But is it compatible with the LiveCode Community edition license? I guess LiveCloud isn't open-source. Does that mean you'd have to buy a LiveCode license to use it? Or is it just that they (LiveCloud) have to buy a LiveCode license and then people are free to use it as long as their own code is open-source?

ghettocottage

Post by ghettocottage » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:47 pm

From what I read, it is currently in Beta and free to use for everyone; however, they will eventually come out with a fee of some kind.

neolson

Post by neolson » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:37 pm

I was asking about whether you'd have to buy a license for LiveCode itself, not for LiveCloud. That is, could you use LiveCloud with the free version of LiveCode?

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:45 am

That is, could you use LiveCloud with the free version of LiveCode?
The webpage reads:
Data management solved for your LiveCode Apps
Download for free now and realize your apps' full potential
So why don't YOU try it out and then tell US? 8)

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:15 pm

Klaus wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:45 am
So why don't YOU try it out...
Yes, become part of the brave new world :mrgreen:
**Said while cowering comfortably in my old boring world :twisted:

neolson

Post by neolson » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:36 pm

Klaus wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:45 am
That is, could you use LiveCloud with the free version of LiveCode?
So why don't YOU try it out and then tell US? 8)
Oh, it's not a question of whether LiveCloud works with the free version of LiveCode. It does.

The question is whether the terms of the free-LiveCode license allow you to use LiveCloud (since LiveCloud is not open-source).

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:48 pm

Ah, I see, but obviously noone had worked with LiveCloud so far, so you could read the fineprint and then tell us. :D

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:11 pm

The easiest way to find out is to contact Mark Talluto, the author, and ask him. I'm sure there's contact info on the web site. He's very responsive.

My uninformed opinion is that there would be no legal issues because livecloud is a distribution system like Dropbox or AWS or any other. It doesn't alter your code to my knowledge, but ask him. I'm no lawyer.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

simon.schvartzman

Post by simon.schvartzman » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:38 pm

Dear Livecode users, letting the pricing aspects on the side I'm sorry to say that I have experienced serious performance problems with LiveCloud. I have had several interactions with Mark Talluto and the bottom line is that 100% of my users are in Brazil and since LiveCloud doesn't have a "region" (server) here then there is nothing that can be done to improve the performance. The only option given so far is for me to pay US$ 200 / month to have the local server available which of course is too expensive to be considered.

Is really a pity because I found LiveCloud a great approach but it seems is not ready for prime time, or at least not ready for "the rest of the world"...

I thought a lot before posting this comment because I didn't want to downplay LiveCloud but on the other side I'd like to avoid other Livecode users the frustration I have been experiencing.

Having said so I'm considering now to use Google Cloud to host my DB and would appreciate any feedback if anyone in the forum has used such service with Livecode.

Regards
Simon

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”