Round app icon on Android Oreo

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

drkosta

Round app icon on Android Oreo

Post by drkosta » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:21 pm

Hi There,

when deploying an app to android os, in LC standalone settings there is only an option to select one app icon. On Android Oreo usually icons are round now and in the Android design studio you have to create different sizes of icons for different designs (and os versions).

Is there any solution about that so that I can use different Icons when changing the design on Oreo or in decency of os version?

Thanks a lot

Kosta

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Round app icon on Android Oreo

Post by jacque » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:53 pm

I haven't done this yet, but there is info on the web about how to create adaptive icons. You need two layers, one for background and one for the icon art. If you create an adaptive icon, you can add it to the Copy Files pane and it will be used. Also add icons for correctly-named legacy sizes, and the OS will choose the correct one for the user's device.

In standalone settings I usually choose a single larger size in legacy format (PNG) and the OS will either scale it or choose one of the named icons if they are available.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

drkosta

Post by drkosta » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:30 pm

Hi Jacque,

thanks a lot for the fast reply and hints. I created with the android design studio the Icons which a named by default "ic-launcher.png, ic-launcher_round.png and ic-launcher_foreground.png. They are stored in different folders for the different resolutions (hdpi, xhdpi, xxhdpi, xxxhdpi). I copied the there files from xxxhdpi folder in the standalone application settings with "copy files" and used in Icon Settings the highest resolution png as icon.

But still the problem is not solved. Only the icon which I used in the Icon Settings is used, so when changing to squared or round icons it is not displayed in the desired way. Is there something specific I have to mention with the names of the icons in "copy files"?

Cheers

Kosta

jacque

Post by jacque » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:34 pm

The names are correct. As I said, I haven't tried it yet but I think LC expects the icons to be loose in the Copy Files pane. If you put them in folders, try taking them out. You probably also need to include the legacy icons, which LC does recognize.

Finally you may need to make changes to the default manifest. You can create your own manifest and include it in the Copy Files pane and LC will use that one. I haven't explored the changes that might be required.

If you get it to work, let us know so I don't have to figure it out later. :)

pkocsis

Post by pkocsis » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:15 am

Hello Kosta,

Did you ever figure out how to solve this issue? At this point, I'm just trying to get the Oreo icon to NOT display tiny with the white space around it.

Thanks!

pkocsis

Post by pkocsis » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:12 pm

Hi Jacque,

Is there some documentation somewhere (that I cannot find) that leads you to believe that the standalone builder should/would look for adaptive icon files that are included in the "copy files" section?

You also indicated that you thought a modified manifest may be needed and deposited into the "copy files" too.

If icon files should be copied "loose" (not in a folder), how can that be done since the icon file names for each dpi are essentially the same, and are generally distinguished by the folder name that they are in (when created natively from android studio asset management or other online adaptive icon generation service)?

I'm just trying to figure this out, and can find no information, so I thought I would ask how (and where) you came to the knowledge you have on this issue so that I may be able to better help myself in trying to figure this out?

Thank you so much Jacque!

Paul

jacque

Post by jacque » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:14 pm

Sorry, I haven't pursued it, I've just stayed with the original icons so I'm not sure how it would work. The info I gave above was based on what I'd read on the mailing list but it was a long time ago. I wonder if we need to submit a feature request.

Return to “Android Deployment”