Location of Livecode app preferences file

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

pthirkell
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Location of Livecode app preferences file

Post by pthirkell » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:25 am

I know I should remember ... but what is location of prefs file for Livecode app itself (currently using 9.0.1 on MacOS)

bogs

Re: Location of Livecode app preferences file

Post by bogs » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:51 am

The default location(s) on Linux would be the ~/.runrev/preferences/ folder, which depending on whether you choose 'all users' or 'only you' will either be in the opt directory or the home directory. I suspect Mac does something similar, but in the quick scan of the folders most likely to be culprits, I didn't see it. Of course, I didn't see any hidden folders, which this will likely be in.

*Edit - Wow, taught me something with this question! You should be able to determine it with a simple built in function (I should have known, thinking about it :? )
Selection_078.png
New trick! (for me...)
In the release notes, you can find a whole bunch of these nifty little doodads.
Getting folder locations within the IDE
If you write plugins, or have code that relies on the location of IDE files then please ensure you use
the following access functions to locate them:
revEnvironmentToolsPath() - The location containing the main IDE files.
revEnvironmentToolsetPath() - The location of the main IDE stacks.
revEnvironmentExternalsPath() - The location of the externals that come with the IDE.
revEnvironmentPluginsPath() - The location of the plugins that come with the IDE.
revEnvironmentRuntimePath() - The location of the standalones that come with the IDE.
revEnvironmentDocumentationPath() - The location of the documentation files.
revEnvironmentResourcesPath() - The location of the resources that come with the IDE.
revEnvironmentCustomizationPath() - The location of the IDE customization folder.
revEnvironmentUserCachePath() - The location of the folder to use for caching files.
revEnvironmentUserPreferencesPath() - The location of the folder to use for preference files.
revEnvironmentUserExternalsPath() - The location of the folder to use for additional externals.
revEnvironmentUserPluginsPath() - The location of the folder to use for additional plugins.
revEnvironmentUserResourcesPath() - The location of the folder to use for additional resources.

pthirkell

Post by pthirkell » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:21 am

these functions are very helpful thanks.

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:00 am

I really should be thanking you, your question prompted the looking up of them :wink:

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”