Handling iPhone X screnn size

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

quailcreek

Handling iPhone X screnn size

Post by quailcreek » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:41 am

Hi,
I need to update a number of apps and I was wondering how everybody has been handling the iPhone X with respect to older apps. All of mine are on the 6 plus stack size using fullscreenmode. Obviously the extra 145pts and the background are not being filled, at least on the sim.
Tom
MacBook Pro OS Mojave 10.14

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Re: Handling iPhone X screnn size

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:37 pm

Hello Tom,

Have you added a splash screen of the correct dimensions for iPhone X in the iOS standalone settings?

Best,
Panos
--

quailcreek

Post by quailcreek » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:06 pm

Hi Panos,
As you've explained to me before, the splash screens only scale up. I've been using the 6 plus screen size because it lets me find the middle of the stack, 414 being an even number. While the splash screen did improve the look on the X it still dosen't look right. The only other option is to go back to developing with the iPhone 5 screen size. I have more than 12 stacks that are pretty much complete so redoing them all to the 5 screen size is going to be very painful. Before iPhone X this wasn't a big deal but now it looks like the only option for getting them to function properly on X. Guess this is what I get for being stubborn.

Thanks again Panos.
Tom

quailcreek

Post by quailcreek » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:31 am

I just spent about three hours trying every combination of splash screens and screen sizes with and without fullScreenMode and no joy. I can't seem to get anything to look correct on the iPhone X sim. Using fullScreenMode only, I don't get any distortion but there is still the blackout areas at the top and bottom of the display. Is anybody else seeing this?
Tom

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:39 pm

Which fullScreenMode are you using? In general, showAll will scale to the full height of the stack and noBorder will scale to the width. For portrait oriented stacks I find showAll to be best. The sides will clip or get borders on some devices, so keep the controls inside a safe area a little inset from the edges. Regardless of the fullscreenmode type, you can set the backcolor of the stack to something compatible with your design and the unused borders will be that color rather than black.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

quailcreek

Post by quailcreek » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:51 pm

Hi J,
I tried all of the fullScreenMode options. On the X device they fill the screen to the size of the stack but not the extra 145pts of the X. I have followed your advice from before (don't laugh it happens) so I've been using showAll and that works for all the other iPhone and Android devices. I have an iPhone 6s and a Samsung J7 to test on. I have background patterns on all of my stacks. The only combination that comes close is to use showAll and an X splash screen. The UI is still shortened but the background does extend to the full height of the display. Not sure if apple will consider this iPhone X comparable.
Tom

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:12 am

Hm. I don't have an X so I'm not sure what to tell you. I wonder how it manages all of the older apps in the App Store that weren't designed for that ratio. This may be something the LC team needs to address.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Return to “iOS Deployment”