Scrolling Icon List

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

fritzdekatt

Scrolling Icon List

Post by fritzdekatt » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:33 pm

I just installed LC 9 Community on Windows 10, on a Dell Inspiron 13 inch touchpad i5, moving from the commercial version 5.6 on MacOSX Sierra (yes, it runs just fine). The icon dropdown on Windows seems to be different. It's a translucent list that I can't scroll through or filter by name. Page Up/down, enter, tab, return all are ineffective, as are mouse and touchscreen in both tablet and notebook mode. I don't see any others reporting this problem so it must be just me. Any ideas?
Here's a TwoFer: This has been a problem since I bought the program lo those many years ago. I'm signed in to LiveCode-dot-com on the web, yet I can't sign in with the exact same credentials in the LiveCode program. I've reported this to support last year sometime, and they (Heather and crew) were able to get me in, but when I set up this environment on Windows, I'm having no luck. It can't be a cookie thing because I'm in the IDE.
Otherwise, version 9 on Windows seems fine so far.
Thank you
fritz

Klaus

Re: Scrolling Icon List

Post by Klaus » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:32 pm

Hi fritz,

welcome to the forum!
I just installed LC 9 Community on Windows 10, on a Dell Inspiron 13 inch touchpad i5, moving from the commercial version 5.6 on MacOSX Sierra (yes, it runs just fine). The icon dropdown on Windows seems to be different
What "icon dropdown" are you talking about?
The only one that is translucent (on the Mac, too) is the drowdown-list with the available SVG icons and that is a nightmare to use on the Mac, too! But this is new in LC > 8, so not sure what you are talking about.
Here's a TwoFer: This has been a problem since I bought the program lo those many years ago. I'm signed in to LiveCode-dot-com on the web, yet I can't sign in with the exact same credentials in the LiveCode program. I've reported this to support last year sometime, and they (Heather and crew) were able to get me in, but when I set up this environment on Windows, I'm having no luck. It can't be a cookie thing because I'm in the IDE.
This is something only support@livecode.com can answer.

However the Community Edtion does not need any credential, so also not sure I understand your problem.

Best

Klaus

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:42 pm

I'm guessing it's the one in the Inspector when you have an SVG widget selected. It's totally wonky: not only inconsistent with literally every other design choice in the IDE, but confusing to use and with an inexplicable translucency that makes it difficult to even see clearly.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

fritzdekatt

Post by fritzdekatt » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:03 pm

Yeah. Exactly. When I put an SVG icon on a card, it exhibits those strange characteristics. You're unable to scroll or right-arrow or tab or touch or anything to get to the image you want. I was doing the introductory interactive tutorial that comes with the program when I encountered this. I've used the icon dropdown in other places in the program and it works just fine. It is indeed "wonky". I thought I'd point it out because it makes the tutorial impossible to follow.

As for when this appeared, in version 8 sometime, I'm upgrading from version 5, as I said.

As for my problem with signing in from the program, I know I can contact Heather, but I thought this may be a general problem and I was looking for feedback. I am only a commercial user of version 5, so I'm not about to bother support about an issue they've helped me with before which, as you pointed out, is not required to run the program. I just wondered why it wouldn't let me sign in from the program when I'm already signed in on the web (maybe I can't sign in twice). Even though it's a community version, I figured there's some reason they want you to sign in. But it's not a big deal.

At least I know the SVG thing wasn't just me. There are evidently other ways to do the same thing so I'm living with it. In all my web applications, I've never used SVG anyway.

Thank you, Klaus and FourthWorld, for your time and trouble.
fritz

NB
I just went through the calculator sample. There's so little code involved that I wasted a lot of time looking for code that wasn't there. I wrote the same app with javascript and php and it certainly seemed like I filled up a couple of pages in a hurry with these other languages (and who wants a calculator you have to make a round trip to a server to use?)

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:07 pm

The best place to report a bug is here:
https://quality.livecode.com/

Thanks in advance if you can spare a moment to submit it. I've been meaning to, but I rarely use the SVG widget so it's slipped my mind.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:12 pm

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:30 pm

Hi Fritz,
I just wondered why it wouldn't let me sign in from the program when I'm already signed in on the web (maybe I can't sign in twice). Even though it's a community version, I figured there's some reason they want you to sign in. But it's not a big deal.
not sure I understand, WHERE exactly are you trying to "sign in" from within the IDE and where did you already "sign in" on the net?

Best

Klaus

AndyP

Post by AndyP » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:43 am

The only way I have ever been able to scroll though the svg icons is to use the mouse scroll wheel...does that work for you?
Andy Piddock
https://livecode1001.blogspot.com Built with LiveCode
https://github.com/AndyPiddock/TinyIDE Mini IDE alternative
https://github.com/AndyPiddock/Seth Editor color theming
http://livecodeshare.runrev.com/stack/897/ LiveCode-Multi-Search

fritzdekatt

Post by fritzdekatt » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:09 pm

Andy
You are quite right. I never use a mouse on a laptop (I have spent most of my dev time historically on the Mac, which has a superior touchpad, IMHO). With an external mouse hooked up with a scrollwheel, the SVG list scrolls beautifully. Interestingly, while the mouse is hooked up (via USB), the two finger gesture on the touchpad also scrolls the list. When I detach the external mouse, the two finger gesture stops working immediately.
Thank you for the tip.
fritz

fritzdekatt

Post by fritzdekatt » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:06 pm

Klaus
Now that you mention it, the Sample Stacks Menu option brings you to a window which has a "Sign In" button. The Sample Stacks window is almost always open in the IDE over the last few months so I've come to consider it an integral part of the application (which it obviously isn't to experienced Livecode developers).
I was assuming the Livecode team wanted to know who was logging in and for what but I have no real idea. I can download samples with no trouble.
On the web, I'm signing into livecode-com (this irritating online text editor doesn't allow you to use a viable url). Again, I sign in a lot (lately) just to see if there's anything new I can learn. For instance, now I'm on the lookout for Livecode Server apps and examples (I don't see a real lot), so I check out the site first before trolling YouTube or Google.
So I'm often signed into both the app and the website and I'm wondering if that's an issue, even though when I sign off from one right now it seems to make no difference. Again, this is really unimportant. I just wondered just for information's sake.
Thanks
fritz
Klaus wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:30 pm
not sure I understand, WHERE exactly are you trying to "sign in" from within the IDE and where did you already "sign in" on the net?

Best

Klaus

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:10 pm

AHA! :-)

OK, yes, as far as I remember the login data for "RevOnline", the stack that you see after you select "Sample Stacks" from the "Help" menu, are different from the login data at "livecode.com".

Hint:
You need at least 10 postings before you can post links and add attachments for security reasons (spam).

fritzdekatt

Post by fritzdekatt » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:34 pm

FourthWorld wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:07 pm
The best place to report a bug is here:
https://quality-livecode-com (for some reason, you can pose a url, and I get an annoying message).

As Klaus indicated, it has been reported, and quite awhile ago too. I guess if you use a mouse, the transparency is as big an issue as the lack of scrolling options. Somebody down there must like this "design decision".
Well, now I know how to report a bug anyway.
Thank you
fritz

Thanks in advance if you can spare a moment to submit it. I've been meaning to, but I rarely use the SVG widget so it's slipped my mind.

jacque

Post by jacque » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:04 pm

There's a tiny little scrollbar, if I remember right, only a few pixels wide, Android style. I can use my mouse to drag it, as well as the page up/down keys. And like everyone else, I have no idea why this interface was chosen.

Look for a link in sample stacks where you can create a new account, since as Klaus said, the login is independent of any others. But logins are only necessary if you want to upload stacks, they aren't required for browsing or downloading. There are no additional features available after a login.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

fritzdekatt

Post by fritzdekatt » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:41 pm

jacque wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:04 pm
There's a tiny little scrollbar, if I remember right, only a few pixels wide, Android style. I can use my mouse to drag it, as well as the page up/down keys. And like everyone else, I have no idea why this interface was chosen.

Look for a link in sample stacks where you can create a new account, since as Klaus said, the login is independent of any others. But logins are only necessary if you want to upload stacks, they aren't required for browsing or downloading. There are no additional features available after a login.
You'd think there'd be a narrow scrollbar, but I can't find it with my touchpad. With a mouse, everything works fine. The alpha channel on the dropdown evidently doesn't allow the touchpad or touchscreen to intercept the window and it scrolls whatever is below it. The mouse driver evidently doesn't care about transparency settings. I'm assuming it's the DPI difference.
As for the sign in, you are totally right on. I created a new login, with the same user id/email as my regular login (on the website), and, after one failure and a password reset, it worked fine. Since the password was a combination of 83 Chinese verbs and evidently couldn't be changed, I set it on, "Log me in automatically" and "Save password" and guaranteed that I'd be okay until I switched computers or I discovered how to use the same user id/email with two different passwords.

Thanks a lot. You have eliminated one more needless distraction on my long road to actually learning something about LiveCode (which may or may not happen in the lifetimes of any on this forum).
fritz

jacque

Post by jacque » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:00 pm

Here's the scollbar on the SVG picker. It's pretty small.
Attachments
SVGScroller.jpg
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Return to “Off-Topic”