What is the Best/Fits Database for Livecode

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

lemodizon

What is the Best/Fits Database for Livecode

Post by lemodizon » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:32 am

Hello Livecode Developers

Just want to ask in your opinion & experienced developing systems & games using Livecode. what is the best/fits database for the ff:

examples
1. POS (Point of Sale) & inventory System and other big system you know.
2. Games (Android & Ios)
3. Web app (eCommerce site)

thank you for your sharing your opinion regarding this topic.

Go Livecode
Thank you & God Bless Everyone :wink:

Regards,
lemodizon

mrcoollion

Re: What is the Best/Fits Database for Livecode

Post by mrcoollion » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:08 am

As I see it there are two types of databases (related to this posts question).

1) SQLite which is an on-disk file based database.
2) Other RDBMS (relational database management systems) with client/server SQL database engines such as MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, or SQL Server.

You can use SQLite for Applications that have the need for a repository to keep data in like Embedded devices and the internet of things, Websites. SQLite can be used as a substitute for ZIP archives or Tarballs. And you can use SQLite as a Server-side database or as stand-in for an enterprise database during demos or testing. And for uses with only a few users SQLite can function as a central Database.
I personally develop using SQLite as a datastore because it is easy to use and test with. When I need it or if the customer needs it I have build a routine (in LiveCode) that enables me to transfer the SQLite DB Stucture i used for development to a MySQL, PostgreSQL, or SQL Server database.

Client/Server RDBMS (relational database management systems) such as MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, or SQL Server are most appropriate when; the data is separated from the application by a network, when there are many concurrent writers (users), if you expect the data to grow to a size that you are uncomfortable with or unable to fit into a single disk file.

This is my humble opinion on the use of databases and LiveCode.

Regards,

Paul

lemodizon

Re: What is the Best/Fits Database for Livecode

Post by lemodizon » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:57 pm

Thanks Paul

your humble opinion is a great help for us (newbie) to try this databases you mentioned.

i appreciated it :)

thanks again

Go Livecode!
Thank you & God Bless Everyone :wink:

Regards,
lemodizon

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”