GOFUNDME for one of US - UPDATE

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

Lagi Pittas
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

GOFUNDME for one of US - UPDATE

Post by Lagi Pittas » Thu May 03, 2018 4:28 pm

Hi Everybody

******UPDATE *******
I have had to expand the story on the Gofundme site as I made the page public - you never know some of the Billionaire software moguls might see a situation they were once in - I'm not holding my breath.

Sorry for posting in the beginners section but this is an Emergency.
One of our own - Won't say the name because people have pride and probably doesn't want a gofundme setup to smooth the next month or so.

He had a large project invested thousands in money and all his time with a demonstration to a large client. Google deprecated one of their APIs somehow Livecode wasn't informed - nobody noticed and no bug report was ever posted the client has pulled out and will not pay. Suffice to say the gentleman in question posted on the list and he wasn't joking about finding a cliff to jump off.

You can tell when somebody is flippant and when they are serious.

I've setup a Gofundme at

http://www.gofundme.com/scemergency

I have transferred full control of withdrawals to that person (or his family) so I cannot touch it.

Please go there and donate. Lets see, if 500 people donate £5 that would help immensely while he rethinks and finds another client - it sounded like he had bet the farm.

There are more than 500 people on this board over a month I would presume - JUST DO IT PLEASE!

There are No excuses if you can pay for internet access then if you cannot give at least £5 or £10 to help someone who could one day be you then don't expect the universe to treat you kindly? - Think about it. I'm serious if you saw his posts and you don't feel the same way as me then shame on you. But just because I said £5 or $10 doesn't mean if you can do more that you shouldn't.
"The real meaning of life is to plant Trees under who's shade you do not expect to Sit"
My late father taught me the above - by actions not words - And I have done it more times than I care to recount - I once "lent" £3000 to an acquaintance when the banks were going to foreclose on his mortgage - 1990 money. When in 1994 I had a brush with Cancer and couldn't function 100% , I called him to ask if he could pay some of it back monthly -_ I hadn't asked while I was ok - probably never would have - his answer "I thought you gave it me" Mum and Dad came to my aid - I was lucky! - We are now that family.

Please get out of your apathy - that somebody else will do it or "I''ll do it later".
If you don't have Family or Real Friends you have nothing.!!
Real Friends are the Family we choose ourselves
Kindest Regards Lagi
Last edited by Lagi Pittas on Sat May 05, 2018 9:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

shaosean

Re: GOFUNDME for one of US

Post by shaosean » Thu May 03, 2018 4:44 pm

From his email
Apparently, google stopped using their old method of oAuth and started deprecation from 1March 2017. As of Apr 20 2018 it no longer works.
From Google's documentation
Important: OAuth 1.0 was officially deprecated on April 20, 2012, and is no longer supported. We encourage you to migrate to OAuth 2.0 as soon as possible.
Google APIs use the OAuth 2.0 protocol for authentication and authorization. Google supports common OAuth 2.0 scenarios such as those for web server, installed, and client-side applications.

I don't know how long he had worked on the project, but I think a six year grace period was long enough to figure out how to use OAuth 2.0 (or hire someone).. This is a good reminder to all developers, if you rely on third party services, make sure you keep on top of their APIs and any changes that are planned..

shaosean

Post by shaosean » Thu May 03, 2018 4:47 pm

From this 2016 posting https://developers.googleblog.com/2016/ ... -apps.html
On April 20, 2017, we will start blocking OAuth requests using web-views for all OAuth clients on platforms where viable alternatives exist.
On November 1, 2016 we added a notification on our iOS consent page alerting developers of this deprecation. On March 1, 2017 we posted the same notification on the Android consent page and on April 1, we posted the notification for applications retrieving an OAuth token from "https://accounts.google.com/o/oauth2/programmatic_auth". Developers can acknowledge the deprecation and remove this notice from the consent page by including a URL parameter "suppress_webview_warning=true" in the request.

Lagi Pittas

Post by Lagi Pittas » Thu May 03, 2018 4:53 pm

From Monty's reply in the list even oAuth2 by itself won't work.

Trouble is he was focusing on getting his program to work, and the time frame gave a false sense of security.
From Monty

The issue is google no longer allow you to use webviews in app to do OAuth. So basically this rules out anything that doesn’t open up an OS browser. The fastest way to resolve this for mergGoogle is to change to using GTMAppAuth from GTMOAuth2. It may be that the OAuth2 library can do what’s needed in pure LCS (with a few feature additions) by following the implementation details here https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8252 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8252>, however, as I’d still need to modify mergGoogle to pass it the auth token I think the first step is updating that separately. Hopefully, getting Sean out of some of his hot water in the process although from the sounds of things it may be too late for that.

From Zryip

> On 3 May 2018, at 10:05 am, zryip theSlug via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> I don't know if this would help, but I have native LC code for OAuth2
> working with the google API on LC 8 and 9. I was using it with the google
> calendar API in an experimental lib last year and the code still working.
> Drop me a note and I could send you what I have.
Just saw your post from google
On November 1, 2016 we added a notification on our iOS consent page alerting developers of this deprecation. On March 1, 2017 we posted the same notification on the Android consent page and on April 1, we posted the notification for applications retrieving an OAuth token from "https://accounts.google.com/o/oauth2/programmatic_auth". Developers can acknowledge the deprecation and remove this notice from the consent page by including a URL parameter "suppress_webview_warning=true" in the request.

That would have got me sh**ting bricks but who knows if the suppress_webview was put in place and forgotten about.

Regards Lagi

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu May 03, 2018 5:27 pm

I agree we, as developers, need to keep up with API changes. On Android, however, there is no need to go through the Play Store or the developer portal in order to distribute an app, so notices placed there are easy to miss. I didn't see them myself, and I've made several Android apps in the last few years, all for private distribution.

Regardless of whose "fault" it is, this is a serious request and we are all worried.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Lagi Pittas

Re: GOFUNDME for one of US - UPDATE 2

Post by Lagi Pittas » Fri May 04, 2018 3:35 pm

Hi I have increased the goal to £10,000 - the £1000 was just a holding figure.

Gofundme has got back to me and said I can change the beneficiary to his family if I need to so the funds will go to the people who will need it if the worst happens - I don't think it will but this will allay the fears of those who are still on the fence.

I will be putting an update on the gofundme site http://www.gofundme.com/scemergency

mentioning that my goal will be to get 200+ donors who will donate 5 or £10 a month for a bit of time (and no holding feet to the fire) until Sean can salvage his work or his family is out of the mire.

This to me is the way it should be - donating X and saying I've done my bit is not good enough - JUST PUT YOURSELF IN HIS SHOES and think that nobody can help you - Maybe it could be you one day - and everybody says screwit i'm gonna watch the game or go down the Pub.

Yes I'm talking to the thousands who DON'T intend at this moment to donate - there are even more who will but not just yet , but the longer you don't donate the easier it is NOT TO DONATE.

So post this on your Facebook page ( iIgo on Facebook once a year to say thanks for my birthday wishes) I am now going to deal with the devil because I feel it is needed.
Μια κοινωνία μεγαλώνει όταν οι ηλικιωμένοι φυτεύουν δέντρα των οποίων η σκιά γνωρίζουν ότι δεν θα καθίσουν ποτέ
"A Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in"
The original Greek proverb that Nelson Henderson appropriated with
“The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit.”
That's why I have 3 direct debits going out to charities that I know aren't spending it on BMW's , Gym membership etc (Red Cross being the main culprit) - I will never sit under that tree but I know it was planted!!

Love and best wishes from Lagi

dave.kilroy

Re: GOFUNDME for one of US - UPDATE

Post by dave.kilroy » Fri May 04, 2018 10:25 pm

Thank you Lagi

I'm glad I know you - well we've never met and this forum is just an electronic piece of flummery - but you know what I mean...

Kind regards

Dave
"...this is not the code you are looking for..."

Lagi Pittas

Re: GOFUNDME for one of US - UPDATE

Post by Lagi Pittas » Sat May 05, 2018 9:27 am

Same here Dave and for that matter the rest of the Livecode Family ... I’ll say it again

“But for the grace of God/the Universe/All That Is” it could have been us.

Regards Lagi

P.s and i’m Sure I have used an example routine you posted .. saved me a good few hours maybe days a belated Thank You.
That’s the proverbial Tree I keep going on about.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”