Multi-Lingual LiveCode?

Something you want to see in a LiveCode product? Want a new forum set up for a specific topic? Talk about it here.

Moderators: heatherlaine, Klaus, FourthWorld, robinmiller, kevinmiller

teriibi

Re: Multi-Lingual LiveCode?

Post by teriibi » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:41 pm

@klaus&Sphere...
One thing seems obvious, Translating LC is refering to anything else but its scripting code. Very few IDE offer a "translated" code for scripting (and LC Script Editor is not ready for that at all.)
that is exactly what is written here...its a waste of time to talk about translating a code.

Now...Its not (always) a waste of time...to talk about translating the GUI, doc, etc. if your prodcut is worth it.

The problem is that many programers - who do not speak english well - can deal with all the English words/functions used in the scripts, that barely stops anyone from writting code in a "foreign" language
even if he/she does not understands the exact meaning,

What make THE BIG difference is having the Full documentation in your own language, thats where other programers who do not speak english well enough cant understand the idea..or what to do exactly.
This will unable them to keep on learning and therefore they give up with the software. If sometone comes to me saying I have a super easy soft, but the doc is only in italian....I will think it twice, right ? :P

So thats a Marketing decision from the Scotish Team to think about..to sell more product or not.
Thats what my Post is about... selling to more people worldwide and not avoiding to sell more... :mrgreen:

I believe that whatever soft that doesnt support several languages through its GUI & Doscs along is meant to own only a smaller fraction of the world market it could have...plus by selling less "copies" it also keeps its price higher - lots of coding time for less clients -...so as in a vicious circle...sell to even less people coz the price is also higher..
So thats a political decision the Scotish Team can decide next... 8)

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:30 pm

teriibi wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:41 pm
One thing seems obvious, Translating LC is refering to anything else but its scripting code. Very few IDE offer a "translated" code for scripting (and LC Script Editor is not ready for that at all.)
oops, sorry, looks like I completely overlooked this one.

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:26 pm

This sounds like a good idea for a community project. Just translating the User Guide would be a big help. I'm sure the LC team doesn't have time to manage this but would welcome community efforts.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Return to “Feature Requests”