v.8 sluggish moving controls

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bogs

Re: v.8 sluggish moving controls

Post by bogs » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:36 pm

dunbarx wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:28 pm
I had saved my latest build for 6.7, but have done much additional work fully in v8, and would hate to have to revert. Do I understand that one can save a v8 build backwards? I see options to go back to v7, and v5, but not v6. I never used v7 at all.
The last 7.x's weren't too bad, as far as I could tell. They are certainly the last ones that will be familiar in use for you :D

As for saving backwards, it is indeed as you say, I use the 5.5 or much MUCH older legacy formats. Just remember, any features not available back then are still not going to be available when you save backwards.

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by dunbarx » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:36 pm

Bogs.

Always look forward to your posts.

As far as I can tell, the only thing I REALLY like about the recent versions of LC is the new itemDelimiter. Have you seen the thread of a couple of years ago ("Multiple Delimiters") about extending that concept to create new forms? I had, tongue in cheek, suggested "buckets" and "trainloads":
set the bucket to "$" ; set the trainLoad to "#"
put char 2 of word 3 of item 4 of bucket 5 of trainLoad 6 of line 7 of...
To me, that enhancement would be monumental.

Craig

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:36 pm

Bogs.

Always look forward to your posts.

As far as I can tell, the only thing I REALLY like about the recent versions of LC is the new itemDelimiter. Have you seen the thread of a couple of years ago ("Multiple Delimiters") about extending that concept to create new forms? I had, tongue in cheek, suggested "buckets" and "trainloads":
set the bucket to "$" ; set the trainLoad to "#"
put char 2 of word 3 of item 4 of bucket 5 of trainLoad 6 of line 7 of...
To me, that enhancement would be monumental.

Craig

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:35 pm

I agree with the item additional delimiters being a bonus :D and yah, I caught the thread. Your ideas always make me think.

Time for lunch, catch up to you later :)

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:24 am

dunbarx wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:28 pm
As for the script editor, no idle handlers. Do you think I live in 1987?? :wink:
Not at all, you lived in 2013 for four years. ;)
I had saved my latest build for 6.7, but have done much additional work fully in v8, and would hate to have to revert. Do I understand that one can save a v8 build backwards? I see options to go back to v7, and v5, but not v6. I never used v7 at all.
Version 5 and 6 shared the same file format, so you'd want v5. Version 7 and 8 have different file formats. Version 9 shares a format with 8.

If you haven't used any features that were new in version 7 or above, you won't lose anything going back to v5/6.

If you want to send me a copy of your stack privately I can see if it drags okay on my Mac.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:54 pm

Not at all, you lived in 2013 for four years.
:D

Craig

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:28 pm

If you want to send me a copy of your stack privately I can see if it drags okay on my Mac.
Jacque. Any old stack will do. I made a new one in a new session with a single button. Placed 1000 lines of nonsensical but compilable code in the button script. Scrolling is jerky. Checking back to v6, the scrolling is smooth and sexy.

If I move the thumb a certain distance, the scroll will track it, though delayed, in steps. When I stop dragging, a handful of those jerky steps will "follow", as they catch up to the final thumbPos.

If this was everyone's situation I would understand. If it were a setting in v.8 I could change it. If it is just me, I am depressed.

Craig

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:15 pm

Okay. I just opened a script with 1109 lines in LC 8.1.7. If I watch very closely I can see a fraction of a second delay, but it is so slight that I hadn't noticed it before now. I had to be really looking for it. This is when scrolling via the scroll wheel on my mouse (actually, the swipe gesture on my magic mouse.) When I drag the scrollbar thumb I don't see any delay.

Sorry I can't reproduce it.

Edit: if I drag the thumb really really fast, from the top all the way to the bottom, there is a slight delay but it is barely noticeable. Again, I had to be looking for it. Maybe a difference in graphic cards in our Macs?

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:20 pm

Jacque.

I cannot find the milk in the refrigerator; I certainly would not notice tiny delays, nor care about them.

So maybe it is purely a matter of RAM. How much do you have installed? I have 8G, soon to be 24.

Craig

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:38 pm

There was an earlier report that noted these issues go away when the PI is not open.

It is all true. I submitted a similar complaint.

Craig

jacque

Post by jacque » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:14 am

I have 32GB of RAM.

Do you mean the Property Inspector? I frequently have it open. On the other hand, I never have the Project Browser open, and that's the one I think causes things to slow down. It's slow to update objects on the stack, but I wouldn't think it would affect script scrolling.

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:36 pm

Well.

Trashing the preferences file has dramatically improved the dragging of many selected controls, and also solved the jerkiness in the script editor.

The nudge is still impossible.

Craig

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:29 pm

Well.

After making a couple of changes to LC, mainly the font in the script editor and changing the backdrop, the jerkiness came back.

Rats.

Craig

Return to “Talking LiveCode”