Small v.8 alignment concern

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Small v.8 alignment concern

Post by dunbarx » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:22 am

Made the move.

I know.

In good ol' v.6, I could select several controls and the alignment pane in the property inspector would pop up. Nice of LC that way. If I did some work in that pane, and then went back to the card and selected other controls, LC was clever enough to know that I probably wanted to do additional stuff in that pane, and would return there.

But in v.8.1., when selecting multiple controls, the property inspector does not open the alignment pane at all, and certainly does not return there if I do so. I could almost forgive the first; I cannot forgive the second.

Anyone REALLY upset that this seemingly small and inconsequential feature seems to have gone away?

Craig Newman

bogs

Re: Small v.8 alignment concern

Post by bogs » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:12 am

Heh, that, and a whole lot of other little things, but you already know how I feel about the whole thing :P

Don't even get me started on the project browser... :roll:

I should add that although the speed in the dictionary is improved, Brian, Bernd, and the gang have shown it can be improved a great deal more ( this may have already occurred, I don't dabble in dp releases much ).

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:52 pm

The property inspector remembers most panes but omits the alignment one, possibly because it's one of the transient panes. I do find it annoying but not enough to have submitted a report about it. You might want to do that.

You can select multiple objects and double click the last one to get the inspector. You probably knew that. I don't recall that's any different from LC 6, but it's been a very long time since I used that version.

Keep the project browser closed and use the app browser instead if you want a more responsive environment.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:06 pm

jacque wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:52 pm
You can select multiple objects and double click the last one to get the inspector. You probably knew that.
He might have, I sure didn't, thank you for the tip !

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:14 pm

Jacque.
You probably knew that.
I did.

But what do you mean by "transient" pane? If the inspector is smart enough to present itself after multiple objects are selected, it ought to be flexible enough to do what it always did, remember where it came from.

With a brand new instance of the inspector, where one might want to set, say, the width of multiple objects, (very nice that it does that, of course) there is no reason to go to the alignment pane by default, or any particular pane; the user ought to have to navigate to the pane of interest the first time.

But why on earth did we have to lose that feature? :x I feel like filing a complaint, but my only options are bugs and feature requests. :wink:

Craig

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:25 pm

I'd call it a bug and report it. It's a regression of sorts.

The property inspector has been completely rewritten to support widgets. It knows which ones you have installed and creates panes dynamically to support those. I'm calling those panes "transient" because they don't exist consistently for everyone, or they only exist under certain circumstances. The alignment pane is transient in the second case, and since it's part of the IDE it can probably be adjusted to do what you expect.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:03 pm

Jacque.

OK, thanks.

I already submitted a snarky feature request.

Craig

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:32 pm

What is the bug report number/URL?

And why snarky? Was it accompanied by a pull request demonstrating how trivial it is to implement?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:55 pm

Richard.

:D

# 20660