where are .livecodescript files?

Deploying to Mac OS? Ask Mac OS specific questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

slindstrom
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

where are .livecodescript files?

Post by slindstrom » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:26 pm

I am trying to save a standalone app using 8.1.2 Community. It's an updated version of a stack created in LiveCode 5.5.5 which I've used constantly for years. The stack runs in the 8.1.2 IDE but I encounter numerous error messages when trying to save as a standalone.

All (or at least many) of the errors seem to revolve around failure to find .livecodescript files in the location 8.1.2.app/Contents/Tools/Toolset/libraries/

Example of one such missing file:

8.1.2.app/Contents/Tools/Toolset/libraries/revsaveasstandalone.livecodescript

I can't find these files anywhere on my Mac. How do I go about doing so? I'm not a programming pro; just a guy who graduated from Hypercard to using RunRev and LC to craft tools I use in my job.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Sieg

Klaus

Re: where are .livecodescript files?

Post by Klaus » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:11 pm

Hej Sieg,

hm, everything is present in my package of LC 8.1.2, see screenshot!?
Maybe you should load and install LC 8.1.2 again from here:
http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/

Best

Klaus
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-13 um 15.10.02.jpg

slindstrom

Post by slindstrom » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:00 pm

Thank you, Klaus. Downloading again produces the same result. I get just the LC Community app, no Contents folder or anything that is nested therein.

I see that you use LC Indy. Is my problem that LC Community does not support saving standalones? If so, that is very disappointing. I work for a very small company that was willing to pay for several previous versions of RunRev, and I donated money to the open source kickstart. Am I now deducing that we will need to pay $1000/year in order to be able to save standalones? I am not a professional developer, I don't sell software, I deploy a few tools for our company to one other employee. I think there needs to be an explanation on the LiveCode site of what the limits of LC Community are.

We would gladly pay one-time fees to upgrade to newer versions of LC but $1000/year simply is not a reasonable price for what we do with LC. Wish there were an "in-between" product and price point.

I now also have problems with 8.1.2's treatment of the ask and answer dialogs as substacks. Quit one app in IDE and then ask and answer are apparently still hanging around in memory. Any advice on how to set destroyStack to true for the ask and answer dialogs?

Appreciate your help.

Best,

Sieg

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:45 pm

slindstrom wrote:Thank you, Klaus. Downloading again produces the same result. I get just the LC Community app, no Contents folder or anything that is nested therein.
They're there. I work in both Indy and Community editions, on Mac, Windows, and Linux. The layout of the LC folders is pretty much identical on all of them.
Is my problem that LC Community does not support saving standalones?
LC Community supports building standalones on all the same platforms as all other editions, with the sole exception of iOS because Apple's iOS terms are incompatible with the terms of the GPL. But Mac, Windows, Linux, Android, Raspberry Pi (experimental), and all server builds are all available under GPL.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

jacque

Post by jacque » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:42 pm

I'm pretty sure the problem isn't missing files, but instead an error in the script that is trying to execute the build. It may have to do with your standalone settings. It would be helpful to see a screen shot of the actual errors LC displays.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

slindstrom

Post by slindstrom » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:46 pm

Thank you, Jacque.

These are the errors displayed.
standalone_save_error.jpg
Sieg

jacque

Post by jacque » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:22 am

The top error indicates there is an image with the same ID as another image in the object hierarchy, so there's a duplicate ID problem. The rest of the errors all indicate that the standalone scripts can't find some required handlers. That's odd because all the unfound handlers exist in the script that is running.

I'm not sure what to say about that. You might want to submit it as a bug report and see what the LC team says. But the first thing to do would be to track down the duplicate image IDs, maybe that's the show stopper. I think it's ID 210092.

slindstrom

Post by slindstrom » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:32 pm

Jacque, thank you.

As best I can tell, image ID 210092 has something to do with the ask and answer dialogs. See screen shot, which shows what I find when I search for it and also the stacks included in my app in standalone settings. The confusing thing for me, a rank amateur for sure, is that in the standalone settings for previous versions of LC, answer dialog, ask dialog and revCopiedIcons did not appear in the list of substacks. Ask dialog and answer dialog were in the list of inclusions I used. revCopiedIcons is new and mysterious to me.

Is the appearance of ask dialog and answer dialog as substacks in my app a bug I should report or has something changed since earlier versions of LC? Is it expected that these stacks appear as substacks (not added as such by me)? The last time I saved this app as a standalone was with LC 5.5.5, and the standalone worked as intended.

Any suggestions on next steps? I've played around with trying to remove those substacks using the "Remove Stack File" button but every attempt to remove any substack yields the message "the standalone main stack can not be removed from the application."
standalone_save_trouble.jpg
Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Sieg

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:34 pm

Well, the ask and answer dialogs should not be part of your working mainstack. If they are, then something went wrong during an earlier build and they got included somehow. They need to be removed. You have to be precise when you do this so that you don't accidentally remove the dialogs that are part of the IDE.

Do these one line at a time and see if you get an errors after each:

Code: Select all

delete stack "answer dialog" of stack <myMainstack>
delete stack "ask dialog" of stack <myMainstack>
where "myMainstack" is the name of your working main stack. Then check to make sure they are gone. You can do this in in the message box:

Code: Select all

put the substacks of stack <myMainstack>
If the ask and answer dialogs are gone, save your mainstack and see if that fixes things.

Edit: Make sure the only way you include the ask and answer dialogs is by ticking the checkboxes on the first pane in standalone settings, or in LC 8 and higher, by selectiing them in the Inclusions pane.

slindstrom

Post by slindstrom » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:30 am

Thank you, thank you, Jacque! That did the trick. I don't know how the ask and answer dialogs got included as substacks in the first place. They suddenly appeared there the first time I tried to save the app as an 8.x standalone.

Sieg

Return to “Mac OS”