Extracting data from a form

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

marcelloe

Extracting data from a form

Post by marcelloe » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:11 pm

This is what I want to do, but not sure if it is possible. I have a bunch of the same forms and I want to extract the data form each form to be able to compare each form's data quickly. Is this something that can be done? I'm not sure how to get started. The quick version is this.

1. import the form
2. LC read the form
3. extract the data
4. put each form's data line by line to compare

Klaus

Re: Extracting data from a form

Post by Klaus » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:55 pm

Hi marcelloe,

no idea what exactly you mean with "form", but please post an example of your "form"
so we can see what you mean and find a solution.

I will move this thread to the beginners forum, I don't think this is "Business and Kiosks" specific.

Best

Klaus

marcelloe

Post by marcelloe » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:43 pm

I want to upload the attached form and be able to extract the data from the fields. I hope that is more understandable.
Attachments
w2.png

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:35 pm

Basically we know what you are after, but we need to know in what FORMAT
(Word doc, HTML page, XCEL sheet, a Livecode stack or whatever) your "form" is!

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by dunbarx » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:45 pm

Hi.

And all this time I thought that "form" meant a dataGrid form. So you know, Marcelloe, this is a well known variation of a special LiveCode object.

The good news is that once you answer Klaus' questions, and I hope you understand why he asked, the LiveCode portion of the task will be simple.

Craig

marcelloe

Post by marcelloe » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:02 pm

The form is in PDF. This is the part I'm not sure about. I have been trying to talk myself through the process, but not really sure. At one point trying to determine if it would be better in Excel or if that was not necessary. I think I have confused myself in the process.

Thank you for your help.

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:55 pm

It will be difficult to parse .pdf data, even with full Acrobat. I am not positive about this, but I do not think there is any organized way to do so.

The only possible saving grace is that you seem to want to analyze identical "forms". It may be possible to figure out a way to separate the information in such a situation, just because however the data will be extracted, it might be possible to do so in a constant manner.

Far better to have it in Word or Excel, where the data is formatted in a strict protocol, and you can likely process it all in an orderly fashion.

I think.

Craig

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”