LiveCode 8 -- Project browser no longer shows card numbers?

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

cliffale7

LiveCode 8 -- Project browser no longer shows card numbers?

Post by cliffale7 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:15 pm

Not only am I new to LiveCode but I'm also new to programming in general. I'm been working on an app for a little while now using LiveCode 7 and recently when I upgraded to version 8 I noticed that the project browser no longer shows the individual card numbers at a glance -- which is a feature I rely heavily upon. Is there an answer to that? Seeing the card numbers listed with the card?

dave.kilroy
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: LiveCode 8 -- Project browser no longer shows card numbe

Post by dave.kilroy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:17 pm

Hi @cliffale7 yep it looks like in LC8 you only get card IDs in tooltips in Project Browser in LC8 (unless you don't name them in which case their IDs show) - in LC7's project browser you don't get them at all.

If tooltips not enough for you maybe try LC8's version of the application browser?

Dave
"...this is not the code you are looking for..."

cliffale7

Post by cliffale7 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:44 pm

That's what I'm saying, except that I could see the card number in LC7's project browser but not in the new LC8. If I point a button to open another card, I have no idea what number card to point it to since the project browser doesn't show the card number like it used to. And if I try to point the button to the card's name that I gave it then I get an error when I try to run it. I need to be able to see what the card number is in LC8. Does that make sense?

Simon

Post by Simon » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:37 am

And if I try to point the button to the card's name that I gave it then I get an error when I try to run it.
Are you saying that

Code: Select all

on mouseUp
go card "myCard"
end mouseUp
Isn't working? (quotes and all)

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

cliffale7

Post by cliffale7 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:20 am

Simon wrote:
And if I try to point the button to the card's name that I gave it then I get an error when I try to run it.
Are you saying that

Code: Select all

on mouseUp
go card "myCard"
end mouseUp
Isn't working? (quotes and all)

Simon
My friend!!! You solved my problem! I see what I was doing wrong. It was a ridiculous mistake, I'm still so new that I wasn't paying attention to my error message. For some reason I switched to using goto instead of go to, and I noticed my mistake when I saw your code example here. I feel like such an idiot. Lol. But now that I'm rocking and rolling it's MUCH easier to call a card by the familiar name I've given it than trying to remember their number to use. Thank you so much!!

Simon

Post by Simon » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:49 am

Glad I could help!
:)

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

dave.kilroy

Post by dave.kilroy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:26 pm

Dear cliffale7 if I could have a penny for every ridiculous coding error I made I would be rich indeed, and I suspect this is true for everyone else who codes - so welcome to the club!

Dave
"...this is not the code you are looking for..."

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”